BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin College football team celebrated Senior Day and the first-ever night game at Whittier Field with a convincing 31-14 victory over Bates on Saturday evening.
The Polar Bears (1-7) snap a 24-game losing streak and will face Colby in Waterville for the CBB Championship next Saturday. The Bobcats (0-8) remain winless on the season and see their seven-game winning streak against Bowdoin snapped.
- After a scoreless first quarter the teams traded second quarter touchdowns to enter halftime deadlocked at 7-7.
- Kyle Flaherty capped a 14-play, 74-yard drive for Bates with a four-yard touchdown run with 8:33 left in the second period.
- Bowdoin used a 12-play, 68-yard drive to end the half with a Nate Richam five-yard touchdown scamper with 27 seconds left to tie the game at the break.
- Bowdoin took command of the game in the third quarter, scoring 17 points to pull away from the Bobcats.
- Following a Joe Gowetski interception, Bowdoin converted a 31-yard field goal by Michael Chen to take a 10-7 advantage.
- After the Bowdoin defense forced a three-and-out, the Polar Bear offense marched down the field, covering 69 yards in nine plays and scoring on a Richam seven-yard touchdown run to extend the lead to 17-7.
- The Polar Bears closed the third quarter with another score following a Franny Rose forced fumble and recovery deep in Bates territory. On Bowdoin's first play, quarterback Austin McCrum found Bo Millett in the back left corner of the end zone to extend the lead to 24-7.
- Bates cut the lead to 24-14 late in the period as Flaherty scored his second touchdown from one yard out to end a 13-play, 74-yard drive for the Bobcats.
- But Bowdoin sealed it on their first drive of the fourth quarter, covering 81 yards in 11 plays over 6:35 and finding paydirt on an 11-yard keeper by McCrum to extend the lead to 31-14.
By The Numbers
- Nate Richam carried the load for Bowdoin, totaling 130 yards on 32 carries with two touchdowns in his first game since September 29.
- Bo Millett caught six passes for 84 yards and a score, accounting for the majority of Austin McCrum's 93 yards passing on the night.
- Liam Spillane had 57 yards while Kyle Flaherty had 56 yards to lead the Bobcats offensively.
- Franny Rose had 12 tackles, a sack, a forced fumble and a recovery to lead the Bowdoin defense. Drew Ortiz had nine tackles while Liam Dougherty made eight tackles, including two sacks.
- Anthony Costa led the Bates defensive corps with seven tackles and an interception.
- Bowdoin will face Colby for the CBB title next Saturday in Waterville at 1:00 p.m.
- Bates closes out its season at home next Saturday at noon against Hamilton.