BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bates College baseball team clinched a bid to the NESCAC Tournament with a doubleheader sweep on Saturday over Bowdoin.
The Bobcats took a 6-0 win in the opener before earning an 11-1 victory in the nightcap. Bates improves to 19-14 (9-3 NESCAC) while the Polar Bears fall to 6-23-2 (3-9 NESCAC).
Game One Highlights
- Bates CF Christian Beal went 4-4 with two runs and two RBI as the Bobcats scored in four different innings to put away the Polar Bears, 6-0.
- Beal rapped an RBI double to spark a two-run rally in the third and then was in the middle of another two-run rally for the Bobcats in the sixth inning.
- Meanwhile, pitcher Justin Foley tossed a gem, allowing just four hits and striking out five in a complete game win for Bates.
- Bowdoin's Brandon Lopez took the loss, allowing six runs.
- Polar Bear SS Eric Mah reached base twice for Bowdoin in the loss.
Game Two Highlights
- Propelled by a five-run second inning the Bobcats took an early lead and never looked back in game two, taking an 11-1 win.
- Dan Trulli and Noah Loughlin each had two-run singles in the inning for Bates.
- Bowdoin got on the board in the third on a double by Lopez that scored Ryan Winn.
- Nolan Collins got the win for Bates, scattering four hits in five frames of work, allowing just one earned run.
- Ben Osterholtz took the loss for Bowdoin, allowing six runs.
- Five Bobcats had multiple hits in the game, led by Loughlin's 2-4 effort with four RBI.
- Bowdoin will close out its season on Sunday as they host Plymouth State in a non-conference game at 3:00 p.m.