WATERVILLE, Maine – The Bowdoin baseball team's late rally fell short as the Polar Bears dropped a 7-5 decision to Colby on Wednesday evening.
The Polar Bears (6-21-2) swept the Mules (9-16) during their three-game NESCAC series earlier in the season.
- Austin Zakow put the Polar Bears on the board in the top of the first with a two-run single. Jack Wilhoite and Chris Attisani both came around to score on the play.
- Colby answered with six runs in the bottom half of the inning. Dylan Nastri got the Mules on the board with a three-run double. Will Phillips had an RBI single and Chris Romano a two-run double.
- A sacrifice fly in the bottom of the sixth pushed the score to 7-1 in favor of Colby.
- Bowdoin cut into the lead in the seventh as Attisani hit a bases loaded single and drove in two runs.
- With two outs on the board in the eighth, Nick Merrill doubled to put himself in scoring position. Brandon Lopez followed up with a double of his own to pull Bowdoin within two.
- Colby Lewis took the mound for Bowdoin in the bottom of the sixth and escaped a two on, one out jam, by forcing a pair of quick fly outs. Lewis went on to strike out four batters in the following two innings.
By the Numbers
- Dan Chapski started on the mound and allowed six hits and as many runs. Seamus Keenan pitched 2.2 innings with two hits allowed and three strikeouts. Ryan Winn pitched two innings and allowed two hits with three K's.
- Will Cohen started for the Mules and made it 2.2 innings with three hits and two runs allowed. Frank Driscoll closed out the game for the Mules with 2.1 innings of work and two hits allowed with three strikeouts.
- Attisani, Zakow, Lopez, and Wilhoite all had two hits in the game.
- The Polar Bears host Bates for a conference doubleheader on Saturday beginning at noon.