LEWISTON, Maine – The Bowdoin baseball team surrendered a pair of late runs and was unable to answer in a 3-2 loss at Bates on Friday afternoon.
The Polar Bears are 5-18-1 (3-7 NESCAC) on the season. The Bobcats are 12-12 (4-3 NESCAC).
- Bowdoin took a 2-0 lead in the top of the first. The Polar Bears retained the lead until the seventh inning.
- Bates retired the first two batters in the Polar Bears lineup before Bowdoin mounted a two-out rally. Nick Merrill got the team going with a single to left and Chris Attisani singled to put a pair of runners on.
- Gavin Cann followed up with a single to center, driving in Merrill from second. James McCarthy followed up with another RBI single to center.
- The Polar Bears posted 1-2-3 innings in the first three innings, retiring the Bobcats lineup in order.
- Bates finally plated a run in the fifth off Justin White's RBI single.
- Jack Arend drove in the game-tying and game-winning runs with a single down the right field line in the seventh.
By the Numbers
- Connor Lee was the only Polar Bear with an extra base hit, a double in the fourth.
- White and Jon Lindgren both had doubles for Bates.
- Brandon Lopez pitched 6.1 innings for Bowdoin and allowed six hits with ten strikeouts. Colby Lewis pitched the remainder of the game and allowed one hit and fanned one.
- Bates had seven hits to Bowdoin's five.
- Nolan Collins pitched the complete game for Bates and allowed five hits with eight strikeouts.
- The two teams are scheduled to complete the series with a noon doubleheader on Saturday at Bowdoin.