Apr 17, 2019
BANGOR, Maine – The Bowdoin baseball team picked up an 8-7 win over Husson on Wednesday evening.
The Polar Bears earn their second out of conference victory of the season to improve to 5-17-1. The Eagles are 16-14.
- Bowdoin jumped out to a three-run lead in the top of the first. Nick Merrill tagged an RBI single to left and Robbie Sarmanian hit a two-run single to right.
- The hosts got one run back in the bottom of the second on an RBI single to left.
- The Polar Bears plated two more runs in the third. Connor Lee drove in one and Ejaaz Jiu doubled to left for another.
- James McCarthy accounted for Bowdoin's final runs of the game. The sophomore drove in two off a triple to right center and later scored on a passed ball.
- Trailing 8-1, the Eagles climbed back into the game with a five-run fifth. Kobe Rogerson and David LeBlanc each had an RBI single. Ethan Stoddard followed up with a two-run triple and Brandon Smith an RBI double.
- Husson cut the deficit to one in the sixth as Nick Guerrette scored on a wild pitch.
- Colby Lewis pitched the ninth and struck out three batters to preserve the one-run lead for Bowdoin.
By the Numbers
- Jiu was the only Bowdoin player with multiple hits, going 2-for-2. The Polar Bears combined for nine hits.
- Smith led both teams, going 3-for-4 at the plate while driving in two runs.
- Sarmanian and McCarthy each had two RBI.
- Merrill, Sarmanian, Jiu, and Jack Wilhoite all had a stolen base.
- Andrew Cohen pitched 4.1 innings and surrendered eight hits with four strikeouts.
- Beckett Slayton fanned a pair in 1.1 innings of work. Ryan Winn took the mound for 2.1 innings and struck out five with one hit. Colby Lewis pitched one inning and struck out three.
- The Polar Bears begin their league series with Bates on Friday, at Bates, with a 3:00 p.m. start.