BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin baseball team picked up its first non-conference victory of the season in a 7-3 win over visiting University of Maine-Farmington on Tuesday afternoon.
The Polar Bears are 4-17-1, while the Beavers are 9-14.
- Bowdoin went ahead 1-0 in the bottom of the first as James McCarthy took third on a passed ball and eventually came home on an errant throw by the catcher. Nick Merrill later plated Jack Wilhoite with a sacrifice fly to right to put Bowdoin up 2-0.
- Zach Hartsgrove cut the deficit in half with an infield RBI single in the top of the second.
- Merrill again pushed Wilhoite across the plate with an RBI groundout in the third.
- The Polar Bears scored three more runs in the fifth inning to go up 6-1. Connor Lee sent an RBI single through the left side and Colby Joncas singled to right center to drive in another run. Lee later scored on a passed ball.
- With a pair of runners on base, Keven Carter doubled to right center for two RBI.
- Wilhoite hit a solo homerun to left center in the bottom of the sixth.
By the Numbers
- The Beavers combined for eight hits. Chase Malloy went 2-for-4 and Justin Rodrigue was 2-for-3.
- Wilhoite and Robbie Sarmanian both went 2-for-4.
- Wilhoite had a pair of stolen bases. Brandon Lopez and Ben Suski each had one.
- Ben Osterholtz pitched six inning for the Polar Bears and allowed six hits and three runs with a pair of strikeouts. Seamus Keenan pitched the final three and allowed two hits while fanning one.
- Troy Johnson went three innings for the Beavers and allowed three hits and as many runs with one strikeout. Hunter Bolduc pitched a pair of innings and gave up four hits and three runs with two K's.
- Brice Springer, Patrick Fallon, and Cole Lockhart each pitched an inning for UMF.
- The Polar Bears play at Husson on Wednesday with a 7:00 p.m. start.
- The Beavers play at Colby tomorrow, starting at 4:00 p.m.