MEDFORD, Mass. – The Bowdoin baseball team suffered three-game series sweep at Tufts after dropping the doubleheader 5-4 an 16-0.
The Polar Bears all to 3-17-1 (3-6 NESCAC), while the Jumbos sit at 18-5 (5-1 NESCAC).
Game One Highlights
- Bowdoin scored a pair of runs in the top of the first, beginning with a bases loaded hit by pitch for Jack Wilhoite. Austin Zakow sent a sacrifice fly to left to drive in Nick Merrill for the Polar Bears' second.
- Tufts responded with two runs in the bottom half of the inning to knot the game at 2-2.
- Bowdoin took the lead in the top of the second as Brandon Lopez flied out to left, scoring Ben Suski.
- Suski hit a solo homerun in the fourth to push the score to 4-2 in favor of Bowdoin.
- The Jumbos answered with two solo homeruns in the fifth to tie the game again.
- Elias Varinos gave the Jumbos the win with an RBI triple in the sixth.
- Eric Mah was the only Polar Bear with multiple hits, going 2-for-4.
- Wilhoite and Owen Gideon-Murphy each had a stolen base.
- Connor Lee pitched the first five innings and allowed six hits with four strikeouts. Colby Lewis pitched the sixth inning, giving up one hit, one run, and one strikeout.
Game Two Highlights
- Bowdoin struggled in game two, falling behind 4-0 in the first inning. Kyle Cortese opened with a three-run homer to right and Ryan Day had an RBI single.
- A two-run homerun in the second pushed the lead to six for the hosts. Tufts added another two runs in the third.
- Tufts hit double digits in the fourth off a pair of RBI singles and a sacrifice fly.
- Day had a two-run double in the fifth and JP Knight did the same in the sixth. Brandon Bay capped the day with an RBI single in the sixth.
- Bowdoin managed six hits and stranded eight base runners.
- Lopez and Matt Nakamoto each had a double.
- Bowdoin is scheduled to host Thomas College on Monday at 4:30 p.m.