BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin baseball team picked up the series sweep over Colby with a 9-1 win on Sunday afternoon.
The Polar Bears climb to 3-14-1 (3-3 NESCAC) and sweep the Mules (6-9, 0-3 NESCAC) for the second consecutive season.
- The Mules took a 1-0 lead in the top of the first. Ryan Hecht sent the ball back to the pitcher, who mishandled it and the throw, allowing Matt Mitchell to score. It was Colby's lone run of the game.
- Bowdoin took a 3-1 lead in the bottom of the third. Nick Merrill tied the game for the Polar Bears on a wild pitch and Jack Wilhoite launched a two-run blast over the left field fence.
- Connor Lee drove in another run in the following inning, singling down the left field line.
- Gavin Cann tagged a double to right center in the fifth, driving in Colby Joncas, and Eric Mah plated Cann with a single to center.
- Branden O'Neil double to right in the sixth for another Bowdoin RBI.
- Brandan Lopez capped the scoring with a two-run triple to center.
By the Numbers
- Bowdoin combined for 15 hits to the Mules six.
- Lee went 3-for-4, while Mah and Wilhoite were both 2-for-5. Austin Zakow and Cann both went 2-for-4.
- Keenan Iuliano came in to pinch hit for the DH and led the Mules, going 2-for-2 with two doubles.
- Jackson Ward had a stolen base for Colby. Mah, Wilhoite, and Zakow all earned a stolen base for Bowdoin.
- Peter O'Connell earned the win with four innings of work and four hits allowed. O'Connell fanned three. Colby Lewis pitched four innings of relief with two hits and three strikeouts. Dan Chapski closed out the game with one K.
- Patrick Carbone went 2.2 innings and allowed three runs off four hits. Cameron Garfield, Emery Dinsmore, and Will Cohen all took the mound for Colby. Cohen had a pair of strikeouts.
- The Polar Bears host UMaine-Farmington on Wednesday at 4:30 p.m.
- Colby is scheduled to host Thomas on Monday at 5:00 p.m.