WATERVILLE, Maine – The Trinity baseball team completed the series sweep of Bowdoin with a 4-0 win in game one and 7-2 victory in game two on Saturday afternoon.
The Bantams improved to 11-2 (3-0 NESCAC), while the Polar Bears remain winless at 0-13-1 (0-3 NESCAC).
Game One Highlights
- Trinity went ahead 2-0 in the top of the first. With the bases loaded and no outs, Vincent Capone flew out to left field for an RBI. Alex Rodriguez followed up with a groundout RBI to short.
- The Bantams added a third run in the fifth inning. With the runner 90 feet from home and no outs, Johnny Stamatis sent a sacrifice fly to left.
- Trinity's final run came in the final inning. Mike Guanci Jr. sent a ball to third and drove in Robbie Cronin.
- The Polar Bears combined for three hits in the game, coming off the bats of Owen Gideon-Murphy, Jack Wilhoite, and Colby Joncas. Eric Mah had a stolen base.
- Matt Koperniak went 2-for-4 and Geoff Stillman went 2-for-3. Guanci, Stamatis, Cronin, and Stillman all had a stolen base.
- Will Simeone went the distance for Trinity, allowing three hits and no runs. Simeone fanned six.
- Brandon Lopez pitched a complete game for the Polar Bears, allowing seven hits with four strikeouts and three walks.
Game Two Highlights
- Trinity broke through in the top of the third to take a 1-0 lead as Koperniak doubled to right with a runner on third.
- Bowdoin tied the game in the fourth as Connor Lee, Joncas, and Gavin Gann all singled to load the bases. Mah chopped a hit to the shortstop who flipped it to second for the out, but Lee came around to score on the play.
- The Bantams put two runs on the board in the fifth, sixth, and ninth innings. Capone picked up a two-run double to right center in the fifth and Koperniak had a bases loaded single in the sixth, Stillman later scored on a wild pitch.
- Stamatis ripped a shot down the right field line that bounced into the corner, hustling around the bases for an in the park homerun. Guanci Jr. also scored on the play.
- Bowdoin got one run back in the ninth. Again the Polar Bears had the bases loaded with no outs, and Lee grounded into a double play, allowing Lee to score.
- Stamatis and Capone each had here hits in the game. Koperniak, Stamatis, and Capone all had two RBI.
- Lee went 3-for-4 at the plate. Austin Zakow had a stolen base.
- Max Barsamian pitched four innings and allowed seven hits with four strikeouts. Erik Mohl allowed two hits with a strikeout. Justin Olson closed out the game with a strikeout.
- Peter O'Connell started on the mound for Bowdoin and pitched three innings with three K's. Seamus Keenan surrendered eight hits and four runs in 2.1 innings of work. Ryan Winn and Wilhoite both had a strikeout in relief.
- Trinity hosts Dean on Tuesday at 4:00 p.m.
- Bowdoin plays at USM on Wednesday at 4:00 p.m.