Mar 29, 2019
WATERVILLE, Maine – The Trinity Bantams took a 4-1 NESCAC East victory over Bowdoin to open conference play on Friday afternoon.
The Bantams are 10-2 (1-0 NESCAC), dropping the Polar Bears to 0-11-1 (0-1 NESCAC).
- The Bantams took a 2-0 lead on a double off the bat of Matt Koperniak in the top of the second.
- The Polar Bears surrendered two more runs in the fourth. Robbie Cronin tagged an RBI single up the middle to drive in a run from second.
- Ben Reinisch added an RBI single to push the lead to four. With only one out and the bases loaded, Connor Lee escaped the jam with a strikeout and groundout to end the inning.
- In the bottom of the ninth, Bowdoin spoiled the Trinity shutout with a bases loaded RBI by Eric Mah.
By the Numbers
- Trinity had multiple players with multi-hit games. Koperniak went 2-for-5, while Reinisch, Eric Thronson, and Cronin all went 2-for-4.
- Koperniak led both teams with two RBI.
- Brandon Lopez, Brendan O'Neil, Nick Merrill, Colby Joncas, and Ben Suski all had hits. Merrill was left stranded three times and scored one run.
- Joncas threw out Koperniak on an attempt to steal second.
- Andrew DeRoche earned the win with 7.1 innings of work and three hits allowed. DeRoche walked five and struck out three.
- Alex Herbst and Justin Olson pitched the final 1.2 innings combined. Olson had one strikeout.
- Lee pitched six innings, allowing eight hits and four runs, while striking out five. Colby Lewis pitched the final three innings and allowed three hits with one strikeout.
- The teams play a doubleheader in Waterville on Saturday, with the first game beginning at noon.