Mar 21, 2019
CLAREMONT, Calif. – The Bowdoin baseball team concluded its spring break trip to California with a 10-8 loss to Pomona-Pitzer on Thursday.
The Polar Bears return to Maine at 0-10-1. The Sagehens are 13-3.
- Austin Zakow gave the Polar Bears an early lead with a three-run homer to right in the top of the first.
- James McCarthy made it 4-0 in favor of Bowdoin in the second, singling to center and driving in Ben Suski.
- Pomona-Pitzer broke through in the bottom half of the inning off an RBI single to left.
- The Sagehens took control in the fifth and sixth innings. Nolan McCafferty hit a two-run single to pull the hosts within one, and Adrian Banales gave them the lead with a three-run double down the leftfield line.
- Pomona-Pitzer added two more runs, pushing the score to 8-4, before Bowdoin answered with three in the eighth.
- Eric Mah drove in one run and Nick Merrill tagged a two-run single to center.
- The Sagehens extended their lead in the bottom of the eighth.
- Gavin Cann drove in one final run for the Polar Bears in the ninth, doubling down the line, but Bowdoin was unable to mount a comeback.
By the Numbers
- Seamus Keenan pitched four innings to start the game and allowed two hits with three strikeouts.
- Ben Osterholtz, Michael Weber, Andrew Cohen, and Ryan Winn all pitched one inning. Peter Mansfield suffered the loss.
- Zakow led the team with three RBI, followed by Merrill with two.
- James McCarthy had a stolen base.
- Connor Lee went 2-for-5 and Cann went 3-for-5.
- The Polar Bears return home and open NESCAC play against Trinity on Friday, March 29.