Mar 09, 2019
NORTHBORO, Mass. – The Bowdoin baseball team opened the 2019 season with a doubleheader setback against Brandeis, falling 4-2 and 9-3.
The Polar Bears start the year at 0-2, while the Judges are 2-0.
Game One Highlights
- Luke Hall put the Judges on the board with an RBI groundout to short, driving in Isaac Fossas in the second.
- Brandeis doubled its lead in the following inning, this time off an RBI single from Mike Khoury.
- The Polar Bears tied the game in their next at bat. Jack Wilhoite walked to put a runner on base and Austin Zakow homered to left for the pair.
- The Judges responded with a pair of solo homers in the bottom half of the inning off the bats of Hall and Dan O'Leary.
- Brandon Lopez suffered the loss on the mound, allowing four hits with as many strikeouts. Lopez walked a pair.
- Greg Tobin pitched a complete game and gave up three hits and three walks. Tobin fanned a pair.
Game Two Highlights
- Bowdoin scored in the top of the first inning to take its first lead of the day. With two outs, Brendan O'Neil walked and Lopez doubled to center for a 1-0 lead.
- The Judges responded with three in the bottom half of the inning off three singles.
- Chris Attisani plated Wilhoite in the second to cut the deficit to one.
- Brandeis scored a pair in the second and third and tacked on a solo shot to right in the fifth.
- Attisani drove in Bowdoin's final run of the game in the top of the sixth, doubling to right.
- Brandeis matched the tally with a run in the bottom half of the inning.
- Attisani and Lopez both recorded doubles.
- Ryan Winn started the game and pitched one inning with a pair of strikeouts. Andrew Cohen and Colby Lewis each pitched two innings. Lewis fanned five. Michael Webber finished off the final inning on the mound.
- Bowdoin travels to California for Spring Break and plays a doubleheader at Pomona-Pitzer at 1:00 p.m. PST.