BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin baseball team picked up its first NESCAC series sweep of the season with a 4-1 victory in game one and 10-5 win in game two against Colby.
The Polar Bears finished conference play with a 7-5 record, sitting at 14-16 overall. The Mules conclude NESCAC play at 1-11 (5-22 overall).
Game One Highlights
- Matt Treveloni put the Mules on the board in the top of the first, singling through the left side, and driving in Andrew Russell.
- One swing of the bat by Eric Mah in the leadoff spot for Bowdoin evened the game as Mah tagged his first career homer over the left field fence.
- Austin Zakow drove in a pair of runs in the fourth off a single to right. Mah quickly scored on a passed ball.
- Brandon Lopez pitched a complete game for the Polar Bears, allowing just two hits with six strikeouts.
- Jackson Ward allowed four runs with five strikeouts and four walks in 3.1 starting innings. Frank Driscoll pitched the final stretch and struck out four while allowing two hits.
- Zakow was the only player for either team with multiple hits, going 2-for-4.
Game Two Highlights
- Mah crossed home in the first to give Bowdoin a quick 1-0 lead, stealing third and then advancing as Austin Zakow drew a run down between first and second.
- Sawyer Billings doubled the run tally for the Polar Bears in the second, driving in James McCarthy with a single through the left side. Mah followed up with an RBI double to left.
- With the bases loaded, Lopez singled through the right side and drove in a pair of runs.
- The Mules cut the lead to 5-2 in the fourth. Jack Mangold tagged an RBI infield single and Cam Drew plated Mangold with a double down the right line.
- Colby pulled within two runs in the fifth as William Wessman singled to center for an RBI.
- Brendan O'Neil answered in the bottom half of the inning, sending a ball over the right field fence.
- Will Phillips tagged a two-run single up the middle in the sixth, cutting Bowdoin's lead to a tight 5-4.
- Connor Lee pushed two runs across the plate in the bottom half of the inning, doubling down the left field line.
- Billings and Mah each drove in a run in the seventh.
- Drew went 2-for-3, while Treveloni and Wessman were both 3-for-5 in game two.
- Colby Joncas and Billings were both 3-for-4.
- Ben Osterholtz earned the win with 5.1 innings of work and a pair of strikeouts. Colby Lewis pitched 2.2 innings, fanning two. Ryan Winn closed out the game with three strikeouts in one inning on the mound.
- Paul Ariola pitched just two innings of the Mules and allowed five runs with one strikeout.
- Cameron Garfield pitched three strong innings, fanning three, and allowed six hits. Will Cohen pitched the final two innings and recorded three K's.
- Bowdoin plays at Southern Maine on Tuesday at 4:00 p.m.
- Colby hosts UMPI tomorrow in a doubleheader beginning at noon.