WATERVILLE, Maine – Max Vogel-Freedman pitched a complete game for Bowdoin baseball as the Polar Bears pinned an 11-3 setback on host Colby in Friday NESCAC action.
The Polar Bears climb to 12-16 and 5-5 in NESCAC East play. The Mules drop to 1-20 (1-9 NESCAC East).
- Colby jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first on an RBI single to center.
- The Polar Bears exploded for seven runs in the following inning. Austin Zakow plated Connor Lee, doubling to right.
- James McCarthy drove in Zakow and Joe Gentile tagged a two-run single to right. Brendan O'Neil and Lee both recorded RBI singles. Jack Wilhoite capped the inning with a sacrifice fly to center, scoring O'Neil.
- The Mules got a run back in the fourth on a wild pitch.
- Bowdoin extended its lead to 9-2 in the seventh as Wilhoite tagged an RBI single and Zakow a run-producing double.
- Eric Mah doubled in the eighth to plate McCarthy and Lee singled in the inning for another RBI.
- Colby scored one final run in the ninth, but was unable to mount a significant rally.
By the Numbers
- Vogel-Freedman enjoyed his longest outing of the season, pitching a complete nine inning game with seven strikeouts. The senior allowed nine hits and no walks.
- Mah and Zakow each had two doubles and went 3-for-4 at the plate. Lee also went 3-for-4.
- William Wessman led the Mules, going 3-for-4 with a run and RBI. Andrew Russell tagged a double and a triple
- The Polar Bears host Colby in the series doubleheader tomorrow, beginning at noon.