BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin baseball team suffered a doubleheader sweep at Middlebury on Sunday afternoon.
The Polar Bears fall to 11-16 after a late rally by Middlebury (10-13) in game one for a 5-4 victory. The Panthers captured a 3-0 shut win in game two.
Game One Highlights
- Bowdoin plated two runs in the top of the first. The first and second batters in the lineup reached and Brendan O'Neil singled through the right side to drive in Eric Mah. Jack Wilhoite later singled to center, pushing Joe Gentile across the plate.
- One swing of the bat by Sebastian Sanchez tied the game in the second, tagging a two-run single up the middle.
- The Polar Bears scored a run in both the sixth and seventh innings to take a 4-2 lead. Brandon Lopez scored on a throwing error with two outs in the sixth and recorded an RBI single the seventh.
- Justin Han pulled Middlebury within one in the bottom half of the final inning, doubling to left center and driving in a run. Brooks Carroll added a walkoff two-run double to left center to end the game.
- Max Vogel-Freedman pitched 4.1 innings for Bowdoin and allowed three hits with a pair of strikeouts. Ryan Winn pitched the remainder of the game with three hits and three strikeouts.
- Gentile, O'Neil, Wilhoite, and Lopez all went 2-for-4.
Game Two Highlights
- Robert Erickson pitched a complete game for Middlebury, allowing just four hits with as many strikeouts in the shutout.
- A solo homerun in the second put the Panthers on top.
- Sam Graf added a two-run double in the sixth to add a pair of insurance runs.
- Ben Osterholtz pitched 5.2 innings, allowing six hits while fanning three.
- Ryan Dixon came in to force a groundout for the Polar Bears to escape the sixth.
- Bowdoin travels to face the University of Maine on Wednesday at 7:00 p.m. for a crossover game with the Division I opponent.