MIDDLEBURY, Vt. – The Middlebury baseball team recorded a walkoff 11-10 victory in the ninth inning of a non-conference game against Bowdoin on Saturday evening.
The Polar Bears drop to 11-14, while the Panthers climb to 8-13.
- Bowdoin took a 4-0 lead after two innings, posting a pair of runs in both the first and second.
- Jack Wilhoite put the Polar Bears on the board with a bases loaded ball to center. Connor Lee drove in another run, doubling down the left field line.
- Joe Gentile recorded the third RBI of the game, driving in Owen Gideon-Murphy in the second. Eric Mah later scored on a wild pitch.
- Middlebury took over with seven runs in three innings. Alan Guild put the Panthers on the board with an RBI single through the right side in the third.
- The Panthers tied the game in the fourth off a single, sacrifice fly, and error.
- Gentile drew a bases loaded walk in the fifth to regain the lead.
- Middlebury jumped out to a 9-5 advantage after the sixth.
- Mah drove in Austin Zakow in the seventh and Lee blasted a two-run homer in the eighth to pull within one.
- An RBI single in the bottom half of the inning extended Middlebury's lead, but a pair of RBI singles in the ninth drew Bowdoin even.
- Mah and Brendan O'Neil both plated runs to give the Polar Bears a chance.
- Hayden Smith hit a walkoff one out single to end the game.
By the Numbers
- Colby Lewis pitched four innings, surrendering seven hits with five strikeouts to begin the game.
- Brandon Lopez pitched four the Polar Bears, fanning four and allowing six hits.
- Wilhoite took the mound for the ninth and surrendered the game winning run.
- Bowdoin combined for 14 hits.
- Mah went 2-for-3 at the plate. Gideon-Murphy and James McCarthy were both 2-for-4.
- The Polar Bears complete the series with a doubleheader tomorrow against the Panthers.