BRUNSWICK, Maine - The Bowdoin and Tufts baseball teams split a closely-fought doubleheader at a chilly Pickard Field on Saturday afternoon with the Polar Bears claiming game one, 4-3, before the Jumbos took the decisive third game of the series, 4-2.
After today's action the Polar Bears stand at 10-12 (4-5 NESCAC) while the Jumbos move to 12-10 (3-3 NESCAC).
Game One Highlights
- Bowdoin jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the bottom of the first. Joe Gentile started the scoring for the Polar Bears, singling through the left side, and driving in Eric Mah.
- Jack Wilhoite drove in a pair of runs as he singled to the left corner.
- Mah added to the lead in the fourth, tagging an RBI single to center.
- Casey Santos-Ocampo put Tufts on the board in the sixth, singling through the left side to bring home Malcolm Nachmanoff, trimming the Bowdoin lead to 4-1.
- Tufts drew closer in their final at-bat in the seventh, getting two-out RBI's from John Moschella and Nick Falkson to cut the lead to 4-3.
- With runners on first and third, Bowdoin's Jack Wilhoite foced a pop-up from Nachmanoff for the final out of the game to preserve the win.
- Colby Lewis pitched well for Bowdoin in the win, going 4.0 innings and allowing three hits and no earned runs. Wilhoite earned the save with three innings of relief.
- Brent Greely took the loss for Tufts, permitting three earned runs over six frames.
- Nick Falkson had two hits in the loss for Tufts. Eric Mah reached base twice for Bowdoin.
Game Two Highlights
- Tufts jumped on Bowdoin in the first inning of game two, as Tommy O'Hara tripled home Elias Varinos just two batters into the game.
- John Moschella followed with a run-scoring single to give Tufts a 2-0 lead.
- Tufts starter Spencer Langdan made that stand until the eighth inning, when Bowdoin put runners on first and second with two out. Joe Gentile hit a grounder to Tufts SS Will Shackleford, who bobbled the toss to second, allowing pinch runner Owen Gideon-Murphy to come home to score.
- Colby Joncas followed that with an RBI single, scoring James McCarthy to knot the score at 2-2.
- Tufts answered with two runs in the top of the ninth to earn the win, however, as Shackleford reached base on a hit-by-pitch, advanced to second on a ball in the dirt and was driven home by Christian Zazzali to give the visitors a 3-2 lead.
- John Moschella added a sac fly later in the frame for more insurance for the Jumbos.
- Langdon got the no-decision for Tufts, allowing no earned runs and striking out five over 7.2 innings. Ian Kinney got the victory in relief, retiring all four batters he faced.
- Ryan Winn was excellent in relief for Bowdoin, tossing four innings of hitless ball. Ryan Dixon was tagged with the loss, allowing the two earned runs in the ninth.
- Zazzali had a pair of hits for Tufts while Brendan O'Neil had a hit to spark Bowdoin's eighth-inning rally.
- Bowdoin heads to Thomas College for Monday game at 4:00 p.m.
- Tufts hosts a doubleheader against UMass Dartmouth on Monday beginning at 12:30 p.m.