BRUNSWICK, Maine - Tufts starter R.J. Hall tossed seven innings of one-hit ball to lead the Jumbos to a 10-0 win over Bowdoin in baseball on Friday afternoon at Pickard Field.
Tufts wins the opener of the three-game set and improves to 11-9 (2-2 NESCAC) while the Polar Bears fall to 9-11 (3-4 NESCAC).
- Tufts got all the offense they would need in the third inning when the Jumbos loaded the bases on three hit-by-pitches. Tommy O'Hara followed with a grand slam over the center field wall to give the visitors a 4-0 lead.
- Christian Zazzali added a run-scoring single in the fourth inning to make it 5-0.
- Meanwhile, Hall cruised through seven innings on the mound, striking out seven batters and permitting just one hit - a double by Eric Mah to lead off the fourth inning.
- Tufts put the game out of reach with a five-run ninth frame with the big blow coming via Will Shackelford's two-run single.
By the Numbers
- R.J. Hall improved to 3-2 with the win while Max Vogel-Freedman (2-3) took the loss for Bowdoin, allowing five earned runs over 6.1 innings, striking out five.
- Kevin Galasso finished off the shutout for Tufts with two innings of scoreless relief.
- Tommy O'Hara went 2-3 with two runs and four RBI while Will Shackelford went 2-4 on the afternoon.
- Jack Wilhoite and Eric Mah had Bowdoin's two hits on the afternoon.
- The teams will play a doubleheader beginning at noon Saturday at Pickard Field.