WATERVILLE, ME - The Bowdoin baseball team split its doubleheader Saturday afternoon against Bates.
Bowdoin took game one by a score of 4-3 in eight innings and lost the second game 5-3. Bowdoin won the weekend series against Bates, taking two games out of three. The Polar Bears improve to 8-7 (2-1 NESCAC) and the Bobcats go to 4-9 (1-2 NESCAC).
Game One Highlights
- Bates began the scoring in the bottom of the first after Pat Beaton singled to left, advanced to second on a Connor DiVincenzo ground out, then stole third and with an error by Colby Joncas on the throw, Beaton crossed the plate for the Bobcats.
- The Polar Bears had a productive fifth inning, tacking on three runs and taking a 3-1 lead over Bates. Joe Gentile started the scoring in the fifth, scorching a double in the right center gap that scored James McCarthy. Austin Zakow then delivered a go-ahead RBI single to center that plated Eric Mah, giving Bowdoin a 2-1 lead. The scoring continued for the Polar Bears in the inning when Zakow stole second base and error by the second basemen allowed Gentile to come in from third, tacking on another run and making the score 3-1 in favor of Bowdoin.
- Dan Trulli picked the scoring back up in the seventh inning with an RBI single that scored DiVincenzo, shortening the Polar Bear lead to just one run at 3-2.
- The Bobcats were able to tie the game up in the bottom of the seventh when Zach Avila hit a grounder to short stop that scored Kyle Carter.
- Onto extra innings we go.
- Bowdoin took no time to take back the lead as Mah singled to center, scoring Connor Lee and giving the Polar Bears the 4-3 lead in the top of the eighth.
By The Numbers (Game One)
- Brandon Lopez started on the mound and delivered seven innings for the Polar Bears, giving up three runs (two earned) on four hits while striking out six Bobcats.
- Colby Lewis came entered the game in the eighth and recorded his first save of the season for Bowdoin, striking out one and walking one.
- Gentile reached base three times in the game, going 2-for-4 with a double, RBI, run scored and reached on a walk.
- McCarthy was also 2-for-4 at the plate with a run scored.
- Mah was 2-for-5 and recorded an RBI and a run scored in the game.
- Jack Wilhoite was 1-for-3 with a double and base on balls.
- Beaton, DiVincenzo, Carter, and Trulli all recorded one hit apiece for the Bobcats.
- The Polar Bears scored their four runs on eight hits in their win.
Game Two Highlights
- Bates started the scoring in game two as well in the bottom of the first as a Trulli grounder to short stop scored Beaton.
- Zakow tied the game at one himself in the top of the second as he homered to left center.
- The Bobcats re-gained the lead in the home half of the second Giovanni Torres singled to left center, scoring Asher MacDonald and giving Bates the 2-1 lead.
- The scoring continued for Bates in the second when Jon Lindgren doubled left center which plated Torres and tacked on an early insurance run for the Bobcats and made the score 3-1 Bates.
- Trulli reached on a fielder's choice to third base that also plated Beaton giving Bates a 4-1 lead over the Polar Bears in the fifth inning.
- Bowdoin tacked another run on the scoreboard in the top of the sixth as Zakow was able to produce an RBI single that scored Mah.
- The Polar Bears continued to score in the inning when Wilhoite hit a sacrifice fly to center field that scored Nick Sadler, cutting the Bobcats lead to 4-3.
- Bates was able to score an insurance run in the bottom of the sixth when Lindgren hit a sacrifice fly that scored Rob Matson.
By The Numbers (Game Two)
- Sadler went 2-for-3 with a double and run scored.
- Zakow also went 2-for-3 at the dish with a home run, a pair of RBI and a run scored.
- Mah and Lee also recorded hits for the Polar Bears.
- Starting pitcher, Seamus Keenan (1-2) tossed four innings, allowing four runs (three earned) on six hits, while striking out three and walking two.
- Lindgren went 2-for-2 with a double and a pair of RBI for Bates.
- Avila was 2-for-3 for the Bobcats.
- MacDonald went 1-for-2 with a double and scored a run for the Bobcats.
- Beaton, DiVincenzo and Torres also recorded one hit apiece in the victory for Bates.
- Bowdoin is scheduled for a home game against Brandeis Tuesday April 3rd at 4:00 PM.