WATERVILLE, ME - The Bowdoin baseball team kicked off NESCAC action with a 3-1 victory over Bates. This game was played on the turf at Colby College due to snow still on the Bowdoin baseball field. After being swept by Bates last season, Bowdoin was able to win game one of the series this season.
The Polar Bears improve to 7-6 (1-0 NESCAC) in an important first conference game against the 3-8 Bobcats.
- The Polar Bears escaped early damage as Max Vogel-Freedman pitched out of a bases loaded jam in the top of the first. Vogel-Freedman allowed a double, walk, and hit by pitch in the inning, but was able to produce a ground ball to shortstop to end the inning and avoid allowing any runs.
- Bowdoin jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the second as Colby Joncas singled home Jack Wilhoite.
- Bates evened the scoring at one in the top of the sixth when Jack Arend doubled to deep center, scoring Pat Beaton.
- The Polar Bears took no time to answer as they regained the lead in the bottom of the sixth. Bowdoin loaded the bases for Connor Lee who grounded into a fielder's choice, but scored Austin Zakow to take the 2-1 lead.
- Bowdoin gained another insurance run in the bottom of the seventh as Ben Suski reached on an error by Bates shortstop Asher MacDonald and eventually scored on a double to deep right field off the bat of Joe Gentile. The Polar Bears took the 3-1 lead.
By The Numbers
- Vogel-Freedman's final pitching line was six innings, giving up six hits and one run, while striking out five and walking one batter.
- Connor Russell pitched well for the Bobcats as well, giving them six innings, allowing two runs on six hits, striking out three and walking two.
- Colby Lewis pitched a clean seventh inning with one strikeout and one walk, recording a hold in the bullpen for the Polar Bears.
- Wilhoite got the ball in the eighth and was able to record a six-out save for Bowdoin, racking up five strikeouts and allowing one hit and one walk in his two innings of work. Wilhoite also went 2-for-4 at the plate and scored a run.
- Lee went 2-for-4 and recorded the eventual game-winning RBI.
- Brandon Lopez also went 2-for-4 at the dish.
- The Polar Bears combined for eight hits to score their three runs in the game.
Bowdoin and Bates play a doubleheader on Saturday beginning at noon. The games will take place at Colby College.