AUBURNDALE, Fla. – The Bowdoin baseball team picked up a pair of wins to begin its final week of play in Florida.
The Polar Bears (4-5) knocked off Minnesota-Morris (1-11) on Tuesday in a 6-2 final. On Wednesday, Bowdoin defeated Babson (6-4) by an 11-4 margin.
Game One Highlights
- Bowdoin scored in the second, third, and fourth innings to take a 3-0 lead. Austin Zakow put the Polar Bears on the board with an RBI single to right. Joe Gentile and Zakow both popped sacrifice flies to the outfield to drive in runs.
- The Cougars answered in the bottom of the fourth as Bryce Jergenson doubled down the leftfield line.
- Connor Lee tagged a two-run triple to center in the fifth and Sawyer Billings homered in the sixth.
- The game's final run came from Minnesota-Morris in the eighth on a throwing error.
- Brandon Lopez earned the win on the mound with 6.1 innings of work and four strikeouts. Lopez allowed four hits and a trio of walks. Ryan Winn forced a pair of outs off two strikeouts. James Speer and Justin Schachter each fanned a batter.
- Lee went 3-for-4 at the plate.
Game Two Highlights
- The Polar Bears' bats stayed hot on Tuesday against Babson.
- The two teams traded runs in the first inning. Lopez doubled to center, driving in Eric Mah, and Matthew Valente drove in Brian McHale for the Beavers.
- Gentile and Zakow each tagged a two-run double in the third inning, giving Bowdoin a 5-1 lead.
- The Beavers cut into the lead in the fourth on an RBI single.
- Lopez crossed the plate in the fifth on a passed ball and Lee drove in two runs with a double.
- A wild pitch in the fifth allowed Babson to put another run up with McHale scoring again.
- Bowdoin scored three runs in the sixth to put the game out of reach. Lopez tagged an RBI single and Zakow continued to produce with a two-run single to center.
- The Beavers got one more run in the eighth but were unable to overcome the deficit.
- Colby Lewis started for Bowdoin and allowed six this while fanning four. Speer, Ryan Dixon, and Peter O'Connell combined for the final five innings.
- Bowdoin plays a doubleheader against Keuka on Thursday, beginning at 2:00 p.m.