NORTHBOROUGH, Mass. - The Bowdoin baseball team opened the 2018 season with a doubleheader split against Brandeis on Saturday afternoon.
The Polar Bears (1-1) fell 8-3 to the Judges (1-1) in the season opener. Bowdoin rebounded for a 12-9 victory in game two.
Game One Highlights
- Max Vogel-Freedman opened the game on the mound for Bowdoin and pitched 4.1 innings. The Judges put up three first inning runs, including a two-run double from Isaac Fossas.
- The Judges added two more runs in the bottom of the second and another in the fifth before Bowdoin would break through.
- Trailing 6-0, Matt Nakamoto blasted a two-run home run in his first collegiate at bat.
- Brandeis responded with a two-run blast in the bottom of the inning to lead Bowdoin 8-2.
- The Polar Bears pushed another run across the plate as a bases-loaded error allowed Connor Lee to score from third.
Game Two Highlights
- Bowdoin exploded for six runs in the top of the first inning of game two. Brandon Lopez tagged a single to center, which allowed Nick Sadler to score.
- Ejaaz Jiu popped a three-run homer over the left field fence to put Bowdoin up 4-0. Lee followed up a couple batters later with another two-run shot.
- Brandeis responded with three runs in the bottom of the inning. With the bases loaded, Darren Bates wore a pitch to push a runner across the plate. A sacrifice fly and single rounded out the inning's scoring.
- The Judges added a solo homerun in the third and three more runs in the fourth to take a 7-6 lead.
- Bowdoin's offense came alive again in the fifth. Jiu laid down a bunt that eventually allowed Lopez to score. Brendan O'Neil followed up with an RBI single to left and Jack Wilhoite tagged a two-run double down the leftfield line.
- Brandeis regained the lead with a pair of runs in the bottom half of the inning.
- Bowdoin closed out the game with RBI singles from Jiu and Sadler in the sixth and seventh.
- Ben Osterholtz started on the mound for the Polar Bears and pitched 3.1 innings with eight hits and seven runs. Peter O'Connell earned the win with 1.2 innings of work and four hits allowed. O'Connell gave up a pair of runs while striking out one and walking one. Wilhoite earned the save with two innings of work, allowing just one hit with a pair of strikeouts.
- Bowdoin opens its southern swing with a 10:00 a.m. game against Rowan on Wednesday.