WATERVILLE, Maine – The Bates baseball team remained perfect in league play by completing the series sweep of Bowdoin on Saturday afternoon at Colby.
The Bobcats improve to 10-5 (6-0 NESCAC) after capturing a 4-3 victory in game one and 6-3 win in game two. The Polar Bears slide to 6-12 (0-3 NESCAC).
Game One Highlights
- The Polar Bears and Bobcats traded runs in the third inning as Brendan Fox drove in Ryan McCarthy. Colby Joncas recorded an RBI single to left in the bottom half of the inning in rebuttal.
- Bates tallied a pair of runs in their next at-bat to take a 3-1 lead. Asher MacDonald scored off a fielding error and Kyle Carter tagged a single to left that drove in McCarthy.
- In the bottom of the fourth, Nick Sadler pulled Bowdoin within one as he singled to right and allowed Connor Lee to score.
- Jack Wilhoite evened the game in the following inning with a solo shot over the left field fence.
- Will Sylvia led off the ninth inning with a single up the middle and quickly took third as McCarthy put the ball in play. Carter's sacrifice fly to deep center allowed Sylvia to score the game-winner.
- Connor Russell started the game for Bates and went four innings, allowing eight hits. Justin Foley pitched the final five innings and gave up three hits while striking out seven.
- Brandon Lopez went eight innings on the mound for Bowdoin and allowed six hits with a pair of strikeouts.
- Joe Gentile and Evann Dumont-LaPointe each went 2-for-3 at the plate. Gentile and Lopez each tagged a double.
- Bates had no mulit-hit appearances at the plate and MacDonald had the only extra-base hit. McCarthy had a pair of stolen bases.
Game Two Highlights
- Bates jumped out to a 3-0 lead after the second inning. Sylvia put the Bobcats on the board with a long triple to right-center that drove in a pair of runs. Carter later drove in Sylvia with a single.
- Gentile put Bowdoin on the board in the bottom of the third, burying a triple in the leftfield corner and driving in Sadler.
- The Polar Bears evened the game in the fifth with a pair of RBI doubles from Sadler and Lopez.
- The Bobcats regained the lead in the sixth, stringing together several base hits to put runners in scoring position. MacDonald and McCarthy both drove in runs with singles and Carter sent a sacrifice fly to left that capped the scoring.
- Anthony Telesca pitched five innings for the Bobcats and allowed five hits with three strikeouts and a pair of walks.
- Sylvia went 3-for-3 with a pair of RBIs to lead Bates.
- The Bobcats play at Saint Joseph's on Wednesday at 4:00 p.m.
- Bowdoin is scheduled to host Brandeis on Tuesday at 4:00 p.m.