WATEVILLE, Maine – The Bowdoin baseball team's late rally forced extra-innings but Bates came away with a 3-2 ten-inning victory in the Friday afternoon series opener.
The Bobcats remain perfect in NESCAC East action and climb to 8-5 (4-0 NESCAC). The Polar Bears slip to 6-10 (0-1 NESCAC) to begin their conference schedule.
- Kyle Carter drove in the game's first run in the bottom of the second off an RBI single. Asher MacDonald doubled the Bates run tally with a sacrifice fly to center in the same inning.
- Bowdoin battled back as Colby Joncas got the Polar Bears on the board following a wild pitch in the sixth.
- Nick Sadler forced extra-innings with a game-tying single that drove in Sean Mullaney in the ninth.
- The Bobcats came away with the win in the tenth off an RBI single from Brendan Fox.
- Max Vogel-Freedman went eight innings on the mound for Bowdoin and allowed three hits and a pair of runs while tallying eight strikeouts. Connor Rooney pitched the final two innings and surrendered the game ending run while fanning a pair and walking two.
- Connor Speed pitched eight innings for Bates and allowed four hits and a pair of runs. Jake Shapiro earned the win with two innings of work.
By the Numbers
- Bowdoin stranded ten runners through ten innings of play, while Bates left just five men on base.
- Cody Todesco was the only player on either team to have a multi-hit game, going 2-for-4 at the plate.
- John Dinucci had the game's lone extra-base hit.
- The Polar Bears and Bobcats conclude the series with a doubleheader beginning at noon on Saturday afternoon on the Colby College campus.