AUBURNDALE, Fla. – The Bowdoin baseball team opened the 2017 season with a 7-4 victory over Roger Williams before falling 5-0 in game two on Sunday afternoon.
The Polar Bears begin the season at 1-1, while Roger Williams collects its first win of the season to climb to 1-3.
Game One Highlights
- Bowdoin took an early lead in the top of the first as a bases loaded walk by Joe Gentile pushed Nick Sadler across the plate. The Hawks evened the game in the bottom half of the inning with an RBI single to center.
- RWU took its first lead of the game as Joey Gulino blasted a solo shot over the left field fence in the third, making it 2-1.
- Sean Mullaney doubled to right in the top of the fourth, allowing Cody Todesco to score, evening the game.
- Another bases loaded walk in the fifth, this time to Sadler, pushed Connor Lee home. With Bowdoin leading 3-2, Anthony Dominguez singled to left field and drove in a pair of runs before being tagged out at second to regain the lead for RWU.
- The game's final four runs all came off Bowdoin bats. Colby Joncas tagged an RBI triple to right and Gentile sent Joncas home with a single, to put a pair of runs on the board in the sixth.
- Evann Dumont-LaPoint gave the Polar Bears some breathing room with a two-run blast to left.
- Joncas went 3-for-4 with two RBI and Gentile was 2-for-4 with a pair of RBI.
- Kyle Stanley went 4.1 innings on the mound, while allowing four hits and as many runs. Stanley walked four and fanned a pair.
- Ryan Dixon earned the win with 2.2 innings of work. Dixon allowed two hits and notched two K's.
Game Two Highlights
- The Hawks shut out Bowdoin in game two, allowing just three hits. The Polar Bears gave up 14 hits and surrendered five runs.
- Justine Stone put RWU on the board in the top of the second with an RBI single to right.
- In the following inning, the Hawks put up three more runs. Gulino singled to right center and Sean Gaffney sent a sacrifice fly to left, accounting for a pair of runs. RWU capitalized on a error during a stolen base attempt to extend their lead to 4-0.
- Danny Roth capped the game with an RBI single down the leftfield line in the fifth.
- Bowdoin's pitching staff combined for six strikeouts and three walks. James Speer got the start on the mound, going 2.2 innings, and allowed seven hits with four runs. Justin Schachter notched a pair of K's in the final inning.
- Mullaney, Sawyer Billings, and Matt Whalen all went 1-for-3 at the plate.
- The Polar Bears face Salve Regina in a Tuesday morning doubleheader beginning at 10:00 a.m.