BRUNSWICK, Maine - The Bowdoin College men's and women's cross-country teams swept their season-opening Bowdoin Invitational meets on Saturday at Pickard Field.
The Polar Bear women dominated with 21 points to easily out-pace second-place Merrimack (52) in a nine-team field. The Bowdoin men scored 24 points to also edge Merrimack (44) in a nine-squad competition.
Women's Meet Highlights
- Sarah Kelley led a group of five Bowdoin runners who finished in the top-eight of the 5K race with a winning time of 19:12.9.
- Julia O'Rourke was right behind Kelley in 19:14.1 to take second overall.
- Caroline Shipley (4th, 19:26.9), Anne McKee (6th, 19:32.66) and Martha Boben (8th, 19:34.4) rounded out the Polar Bear scorers.
Men's Meet Highlights
- Ben Torda took first in the men's meet for Bowdoin, winning the 8K competition in a time of 25:57.0 as the Polar Bears placed five of the top nine finishers.
- Sean McDonald was the next-best Bowdoin finisher in third place in a time of 26:27.5.
- Connor Rockett (5th, 26:38.1) and Naphtali Moulton (6th, 26:42.7) ended in back-to-back places while Andrew McGowan (9th, 27:07.6) completed the Bowdoin scorers.
- The Bowdoin cross-country teams will host its second invitational of the fall on September 30 at Pickard Field, scheduled to begin at 1:00 p.m.