BRUNSWICK, Maine - The Bowdoin College volleyball team rallied from a 2-0 deficit to take a dramatic 3-2 win over Hamilton in NESCAC action on Saturday afternoon at Morrell Gymnasium.
The Polar Bears complete a weekend sweep of NESCAC opponents and improve to 7-6 (4-1 NESCAC) while the Continentals fall to 6-5 (2-3 NESCAC) with the loss. Bowdoin has won 16 consecutive matches against Hamilton overall.
- After Hamilton won the opening two sets 25-15 and 25-19, Bowdoin rose up to tie the score with wins of 25-16 and 25-17 in the third and fourth sets. The Polar Bears closed out the win with a 15-11 triumph in the deciding fifth.
- The Continentals played a nearly-flawless opening set, committing no attack errors and closing on a 7-2 run, finishing off the Polar Bears with a service ace from Courtney Brown to win 25-16.
- Hamilton doubled its lead to 2-0 by edging ahead of Bowdoin early in the second set and steadily pulling away, and ending the set on a 5-2 surge to take a 25-19 victory.
- With their backs to the wall, the Polar Bears replied with their best play of the day, closing the third set on an impressive 11-3 run, capped by a kill from Caroline Flaharty to win 26-15.
- In the fourth set, Bowdoin took an early lead and Hamilton could get no closer than three points in the set as Brooke Vahos sparked a late 5-0 run to take the set and force the deciding fifth.
- The fifth set saw the Polar Bears continue their hot play, jumping to an 11-4 lead in the race to 15. The Continentals put up a late fight, closing the gap to 11-9 on a nice service run from Christine Zizzi, but Bowdoin stemmed the tide, getting a late service ace from Michelle Albright and kill from setter Kate Kiser to stay ahead for the 15-11 win.
By The Numbers
- Flaharty ended with 16 kills and 17 digs to lead the Polar Bears offensively, also adding a pair of service aces.
- Albright had 13 kills, 13 digs and four blocks while Sydney Salle added 12 kills and four blocks.
- Kate Kiser dished out 43 assists while Lisa Sheldon had 29 digs and ten assists in the win.
- Hamilton was led by 15 kills from Courtney Brown, who also added three blocks.
- Nikki Matsuoka had 12 kills and 21 digs while Kyndal Burdin led the Continentals with 48 assists.
- Zizzi finished with a team-best 28 digs for Hamilton.
- Bowdoin will hit the road next weekend for matches at Trinity Friday (8:00 p.m.) and Amherst Saturday (1:00 p.m.).
- Hamilton will return to Maine for a pair of matches next weekend, at Bates on Friday night at 7:00 p.m. and at Colby on Saturday at 1:00 p.m.