BRUNSWICK, Maine - The Bowdoin College women's volleyball team rallied from a two-set deficit to stun Williams 3-2 in the championship match of the 2015 New England Small College Athletic Conference Tournament Saturday at Morrell Gymnasium.
The Polar Bears claim their second NESCAC title overall and will receive the league's automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament. Selections and pairings will be announced on NCAA.com on Monday. Williams drops to 18-10 with the loss. Bowdoin rallied for a win by set scores of 20-25, 19-25, 25-22, 25-23, 15-7
How It Happened
- Williams appeared to be in complete control after winning the first two sets by scores of 25-20 and 25-19
- With Williams holding a 15-14 edge in the opening set, the Ephs used a 3-0 surge to take control en route to a 25-20 victory
- In set two, the Ephs jumped to an early lead before Bowdoin was able to trim it to 18-17 late. Williams closed the set on a 7-2 run to win 25-19 and take a commanding 2-0 overall lead
- With their backs to the wall and the third set tied at 21 apiece, Bowdoin won four of the last five points, including a pair of big kills by Christy Jewett, to win 25-22
- The fourth set was just as tight, with the teams tied at 23-23. Bowdoin got a kill from Erika Sklaver to go ahead and a Williams attack error to clinch the 25-23 victory
- Bowdoin did not trail in the deciding fifth, jumping to an 8-4 lead and extending the lead to 14-6 before a Sklaver kill ended it for the Polar Bears
By The Numbers
- Quincy Leech collected 43 assists, 24 digs and had seven kills in the victory for Bowdoin
- Jewett had a team-high 17 kills and 10 digs while Sklaver finished with 12 kills and six blocks for the Polar Bears
- Katie Doherty earned a match-high 51 digs in the win
- Williams was led by a gutty performance by Tori Jasuta, who ended with 26 kills and 29 digs
- Ally Ostrow put home 15 kills to go with 17 digs while Ryan Farley dished 53 assists and collected 18 digs
- The Polar Bears will learn the NCAA Tournament pairings on Monday when the field is announced online at 11:00 a.m. Williams will await word on an at-large selection.