INDIAN WELLS, Calif. – The Bowdoin women's tennis team opened the 2018 spring season with a commanding 9-0 sweep of Vassar on Sunday evening.
The fifth-ranked Polar Bears climb to 2-0 on the year while handing the Brewers just their second loss of the season (6-2).
- Bowdoin jumped out to a 3-0 lead after sweeping doubles play. Tess Trinka and Izzy Essi combined for an 8-0 win at one, followed by Rachel Bercovitch and Tasha Christ at two (8-5). Sasa Jovanovic and Viv Daniel picked up an 8-6 win at number three.
- Trinka raced to a 6-1, 6-0 win at the top spot. Essi and Jovanovic posted matching 6-1, 6-4 decisions at four and six respectively.
- Bercovitch won her first set 6-4 at number three, before dropping the second 6-2. The first-year rebounded in a 10-2 tiebreaker.
- Daniel rounded out the sweep with a 6-2, 6-3 win at number five.
- Bowdoin plays both Trinity (9:00 a.m.) and Carnegie Mellon (6:00 p.m.) on Monday in California.