BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin women's tennis team swept visiting Connecticut College 9-0 on Sunday after falling just short in a late 5-4 rally at Amherst on Saturday.
The fourth-ranked Polar Bears are 10-2 (4-1 NESCAC) following a pair of conference matches. The 13th-ranked Mammoths climb to 5-4 (3-0 NESCAC) and the Camels sit at 6-5 (0-3) NESCAC.
Amherst Match Highlights
- Amherst put Bowdoin in a 3-0 hole following doubles play, but the Polar Bears battled back with four singles victories.
- Joulia Likhanskaia captured a three-set win at #1, finishing off Camille Smukler 7-5, 4-6, 6-4.
- Tess Trinka and Pilar Giffenig tallied the only straight set wins of the day at #2 and #5 respectively. Trinka finished off Kelsey Chen 6-4, 6-2 and Giffenig went 6-3, 6-4.
- Sasa Jovanovic battled at #6 and came back after falling 6-1 in the opening set. Jovanovic bested Avery Wagman in long second and third sets, winning those 7-5, 10-6.
Connecticut College Highlights
- Bowdoin swept Connecticut College on Sunday afternoon. The Polar Bears cruised through doubles as Likhanskaia and Samantha Stalder picked up an 8-1 result at #1, Trinka and Giffenig went 8-0 at #2, and Jovanovic and Tasha Christ had an 8-1 win at #3.
- In singles play, Trinka and Giffenig post 6-0, 6-0 finishes in the three and four spots respectively.
- Christ (6-0, 6-1) and Jovanovic (6-0, 6-2) earned points at #5 and #6 in a pair of quick matches.
- At the top of the lineup, Likhanskaia polished off Aleksandra Drljaca 6-1, 6-3. Stalder (6-1, 6-1) played in the two spot and earned another Bowdoin point.
- The Polar Bears host Middlebury at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday.