Women's Tennis Blanks Trinity in Opening Round of NESCAC's
BRUNSWICK, Maine - The Bowdoin College women's tennis team cruised to a 5-0 win over Trinity in the opening round of the 2014 NESCAC Tournament Friday morning at Maine Pines Tennis Club.
The Polar Bears improve to 14-5 and advance to play Williams in the NESCAC semifinals Saturday morning at 8:00 a.m. Trinity falls to 9-7 this season with the loss.
Bowdoin took a 3-0 lead with a trio of convincing doubles wins, as Emma Lewis and Joulia Likhanskaia put the Polar Bears on the board with a 8-1 win over Melita Ferjanic/Morgan Feldman at #1. Pilar Giffenig and Tiffany Cheng followed with an 8-5 win over Caroline Gagne/Elizabeth Gerber at #3 before Kate Winingham and Samantha Stalder completed the sweep with a 8-5 win at #3 against Senzo Mavune-Maphisa/Regan Churna.
The Polar Bears sealed the win with victories at #5 and #6 singles. Lewis earned a 6-0, 6-1 win against Gerber and Kyra Silitch clinched the match with a 6-1, 6-2 victory.
Bowdoin 5, Trinity 0
1. Joulia Likhanskaia (BOW) vs. Melita Ferjanic (TRI) 6-2, 5-4, unfinished
2. Tiffany Cheng (BOW) vs. Morgan Feldman (TRI) 6-0, 6-6, unfinished
3. Kate Winingham (BOW) vs. Senzo Mavune-Maphisa (TRI) 6-4, 5-0, unfinished
4. Samantha Stalder (BOW) vs. Regan Churna (TRI) 6-1, 5-3, unfinished
5. Emma Lewis (BOW) def. Elizabeth Gerber (TRI) 6-0, 6-1
6. Kyra Silitch (BOW) def. Caroline Gagne (TRI) 6-1, 6-2
1. Emma Lewis/Joulia Likhanskaia (BOW) def. Melita Ferjanic/Morgan Feldman (TRI) 8-1
2. Samantha Stalder/Kate Winingham (BOW) def. Senzo Mavune-Maphisa/Regan Churna (TRI) 8-5
3. Pilar Giffenig/Tiffany Cheng (BOW) def. Caroline Gagne/Elizabeth Gerber (TRI) 8-5