Women's Tennis Falls to Williams in NESCAC Semifinal Round
AMHERST, Mass. - Winning two of three doubles matches and its first three singles pairings, the second-seeded Williams women's tennis team notched a 5-1 victory over third-seeded Bowdoin to advance to the title game of the 2013 NESCAC Championship.
With the victory, Williams improved to 17-4 on the season and will play Amherst in the NESCAC title match on Sunday. The Polar Bears fell to 14-4 on the year and are expected an NCAA Tournament bid when selections are announced on Monday.
Putting Bowdoin on the board, Kate Winingham and Emma Lewis earned an 8-3 third doubles decision over Nancy Worley and Veranika Li. After Maria Pylypiv and Kathleen Elkins tied things up with an 8-5 victory over Chantalle Lavertu and Kellen Alberstone in the second slot, the Ephs' Kara Shoemaker and Rebbeca Curran edged out Tiffany Cheng and Emma Chow, 9-8 (8-6), to put Williams ahead after doubles play.
Nancey Worley extended the Williams lead with a 6-1, 6-3 fourth singles triumph over Winingham before Elkins took down Lavertu, 6-2, 6-2 in the second slot. Pylypiv closed things out with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Lewis in fifth singles.
Williams College 5, Bowdoin College 1
1. Kara Shoemaker (WILLIAMS) vs. Kellen Alberstone (BOW) 6-2, unfinished
2. Kathleen Elkins (WILLIAMS) def. Chantalle Lavertu (BOW) 6-2, 6-2
3. Rebecca Curran (WILLIAMS) vs. Tiffany Cheng (BOW) 5-7, unfinished
4. Nancy Worley (WILLIAMS) def. Kate Winingham (BOW) 6-1, 6-3
5. Maria Pylypiv (WILLIAMS) def. Emma Lewis (BOW) 6-3, 6-2
6. Alex Stone (WILLIAMS) vs. Emma Chow (BOW) 6-3, unfinished
1. Kara Shoemaker/Rebecca Curran (WILLIAMS) def. Tiffany Cheng/Emma Chow (BOW) 9-8 (8-6)
2. Maria Pylypiv/Kathleen Elkins (WILLIAMS) def. Chantalle Lavertu/Kellen Alberstone (BOW) 8-5
3. Kate Winingham/Emma Lewis (BOW) def. Nancy Worley/Veranika Li (WILLIAMS) 8-3