AMHERST, Mass. - A sweep in doubles play propelled third-seeded Bowdoin to a sweep of sixth-seeded Trinity, 5-0, in the opening round of the 2013 NESCAC Women's Tennis Championship Friday, hosted by Amherst College.
With the win, fifth-ranked Bowdoin (14-3) advances to tomorrow's semifinal where they square off with second-seeded (and national #3) Williams at 1:00 p.m.
Holding their own at the top of the doubles order, Bowdoin's Emma Chow and Tiffany Cheng dispatched Melita Ferjanic and Hillary Hoyt, 8-1. Kellen Alberstone and Chantalle Lavertu then earned an 8-4 #2 doubles decision over Senzosihle Mauve-Maphrisa and Morgan Feldman before Kate Winingham and Emma Lewis completed the doubles sweep with an 8-2 triumph over Regan Cherna '14 and Elizabeth Gerber '14.
Chow inched the Polar Bears closer to the victory with a 6-4, 6-0 victory at #6 singles before Winingham closed out the Bantams with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Cherna in the #4 slot.
Saturday's match against the Ephs will be a rematch of a match played one month ago in Williamstown. Williams pulled out a 6-3 decision over the Polar Bears on April 5.
Bowdoin College 5, Trinity College 0
1. Kellen Alberstone (BOW) vs. Melita Ferjanic (TRIN) 7-6, unfinished
2. Chantelle Lavertu (BOW) vs. Hillary Hoyt (TRIN) 3-6, unfinished
3. Tiffany Cheng (BOW) vs. Morgan Feldman (TRIN) 3-6, unfinished
4. Kate Winingham (BOW) def. Regan Cherna (TRIN) 6-3, 6-2
5. Emma Lewis (BOW) vs. Senzo Mauve-Maphisa (TRIN) 5-7, unfinished
6. Emma Chow (BOW) def. Frances Cameron (TRIN) 6-4, 6-0
1. Emma Chow/Tiffany Cheng (BOW) def. Melita Ferjanic/Hillary Hoyt (TRIN) 8-1
2. Kellen Alberstone/Chantelle Lavertu (BOW) def. Senzo Mauve-Maphisa/Morgan Feldman (TRIN) 8-4
3. Kate Winingham/Emma Lewis (BOW) def. Regan Cherna/Elizabeth Gerber (TRIN) 8-2