Women's Tennis Can't Mount Comeback, Falls Short to Emory in NCAA Quarterfinals
BRUNSWICK, Maine - The Bowdoin College women's tennis team saw its NCAA Tournament run come to a close on Monday in a 5-2 loss to Emory.
The Polar Bears finish their season with a record of 13-9, advancing to the NCAA Division III Quarterfinals for the second time in program history. Bowdoin also reached the final eight of the tourney in 2008. Emory will play in the national semifinals on Tuesday afternoon against the winner of Williams-Claremont.
Bowdoin lost the #1 doubles match in a 8-0 decision, but rebounded with a dominating performance at #3 doubles, as Kate Winingham and Emily Lombardi claimed an 8-1 victory. In the final doubles match, Bowdoin's Emma Chow and Chantalle Lavertu were tied with Emory's #2 duo of Malavika Padmanabhan/Brenna Kelly at 5-5, but lost three of the last four points to fall in an 8-6 decision.
Needing just three points out of singles play, Emory's Gabrielle Clark dropped Bowdoin's Kellen Alberstone in straight-sets, 6-0, 6-0 at #1 to give the Eagles a 3-1 advantage. Emory took a 4-1 lead moments later when Zahra Dawson defeated Bowdoin's Chantalle Lavertu 6-2, 6-2 at #3.
The Polar Bears, who rallied from such a deficit last weekend in Middlebury, got a spark from Emma Lewis, who closed the gap to 4-2 with a 6-3, 6-1 win at #4. But Bowdoin couldn't duplicate their feat from a week ago on Monday afternoon as Kelly earned the final point at #5 (6-1, 6-1) for Emory to clinch the win. Bowdoin fought to the end, however, and was up a set in the two remaining singles matches when play concluded.
Emory University 5, Bowdoin College 2
NCAA Division III Women's Quarterfinal
1. Clark, Gabrielle (EUW) def. Kellen Alberstone (BOWW) 6-0, 6-0
2. Wylie, Jordan (EUW) vs. Kate Winingham (BOWW) 7-6 (10-8), unfinished
3. Dawson, Zahra (EUW) def. Chantalle Lavertu (BOWW) 6-2, 6-2
4. Emma Lewis (BOWW) def. Padmanabhan, Malavik (EUW) 6-3, 6-1
5. Kelly, Brenna (EUW) def. Emily Lombardi (BOWW) 6-1, 6-1
6. Pinsky, Lauren (EUW) vs. Susanna Howard (BOWW) 4-6, 4-3, unfinished
1. Clark, Gabrielle/Dawson, Zahra (EUW) def. Kellen Alberstone/Emma Lewis (BOWW) 8-0
2. Padmanabhan, Malavik/Kelly, Brenna (EUW) def. Emma Chow/Chantalle Lavertu (BOWW) 8-6
3. Kate Winingham/Emily Lombardi (BOWW) def. Wylie, Jordan/Brandt, Taylor (EUW) 8-1