MIDDLEBURY, Vt. – Bowdoin advanced to the NCAA Regional finals with a 5-1 victory over Wellesley (17-7) in Saturday's second round match-up. The Polar Bears (12-8) will take on host Middlebury in the NCAA Regional finals on Sunday at noon.
Bowdoin took a 2-1 edge after doubles play, with wins at #2 and #3, while Wellesley earned a point at #1. The third flight was the first off the court, where Bowdoin's Kate Winingham and Emily Lombardi paired up for an 8-2 win over Melissa Clark and Kendall Tada.
Wellesley tied the match at 1-1, when Marie Watanabe and Sojung Lee teamed up for an 8-4 win over Kellen Alberstone and Emma Lewis at one. Closing out doubles play, Bowdoin's Emma Chow and Chantalle Lavertu topped Diana Granger and Erica Choo at two, giving the Polar Bears the momentum heading into singles.
In singles, Bowdoin took the first three matches that were finished to seal the 5-1 victory. At two, Winingham topped Choo, 6-2, 6-1, while at three, Lavertu put Bowdoin up 4-1, with a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Clark. The match-clinching victory came in the fourth spot, where Lewis topped Granger, 6-2, 6-2, to punch Bowdoin's ticket to the regional finals.
Bowdoin 5, Wellesley 1
1. Kellen Alberstone (BOW-W) vs. Marie Watanabe (WEL) 6-2, 3-2, unfinished
2. Kate Winingham (BOW-W) def. Erica Choo (WEL) 6-2, 6-1
3. Chantalle Lavertu (BOW-W) def. Melissa Clark (WEL) 6-1, 6-3
4. Emma Lewis (BOW-W) def. Diana Granger (WEL) 6-2, 6-2
5. Emily Lombardi (BOW-W) vs. SoJung Lee (WEL) 6-3, 2-2, unfinished
6. Hannah Hoerner (BOW-W) vs. Kendall Tada (WEL) 6-3, 4-2, unfinished
1. Marie Watanabe/SoJung Lee (WEL) def. Kellen Alberstone/Emma Lewis (BOW-W) 8-4
2. Emma Chow/Chantalle Lavertu (BOW-W) def. Diana Granger/Erica Choo (WEL) 8-2
3. Kate Winingham/Emily Lombardi (BOW-W) def. Melissa Clark/Kendall Tada (WEL) 8-2