WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. - Bowdoin's Kellen Alberstone won the decisive match at #1 singles to clinch a 5-4 victory over Tufts in the opening round of the NESCAC Women's Tennis Tournament Friday at Williams College.
Bowdoin (11-7) advances to face host Williams College in a tournament semifinal Saturday morning at 9 a.m. Tufts season concludes with an 8-10 mark.
The Polar Bears led 2-1 after doubles play as Emily Lombardi and Kate Winingham pulled out a tough 8-6 win at third doubles, edging Sophie Schonfeld and Rebecca Kimmel.
Tufts rallied in singles play when Samantha Gann and Kimmel posted straight set wins at fourth and fifth singles, respectively. Janice Lam gave Tufts a 4-3 lead when she outlasted Susanna Howard at six singles, 6-3, 4-6, 6-1.
That left it up to the final two matches to take the court, third and first singles. At third singles, Bowdoin's Chantelle Lavertu swept Shelcu Bowman of Tufts, 6-3, 6-2, to tie the match 4-4. Alberstone then finished off her sweep of Lindsay Katz(6-0, 6-3) to allow Bowdoin to advance.
The match, played indoors at Williams College's Lansing Chapman Rink, lasted 4 hours and 19 minutes.
Bowdoin College 5, Tufts University 4
1. Kellen Alberstone (BOWW) def. Lindsay Katz (TUFTSW) 6-0, 6-3
2. Kate Winingham (BOWW) def. Sophie Schonfeld (TUFTSW) 6-2, 6-1
3. Chantalle Lavertu (BOWW) def. Shelci Bowman (TUFTSW) 6-3, 6-2
4. Samantha Gann (TUFTSW) def. Emily Lombardi (BOWW) 6-2, 6-2
5. Rebecca Kimmel (TUFTSW) def. Emma Lewis (BOWW) 6-4, 6-3
6. Janice Lam (TUFTSW) def. Susanna Howard (BOWW) 6-3, 4-6, 6-1
1. Lindsay Katz/Shelci Bowman (TUFTSW) def. Kellen Alberstone/Emma Lewis (BOWW) 8-4
2. Emma Chow/Chantelle Lavertu (BOWW) def. Samantha Gann/Janice Lam (TUFTSW) 8-3
3. Emily Lombardi/Kate Winingham (BOWW) def. Sophie Schonfeld/Rebecca Kimmel (TUFTSW) 8-6