Jan 20, 2018
BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin men's and women's swimming & diving teams returned to the pool against the University of Southern Maine for a non-scoring meet on Saturday afternoon.
- In the 200 medley relay the all first-year team of Nadia Eguchi, Claire Wolff, Ellie Wargo, and Mary Laurita were Bowdoin's top finishers in fourth with a 1:54.37. They edged the sophomore team of Marshall Lowery, Caitlin Loi, Julianna Kiley, and Amanda Banasiak in 1:55.24.
- Senior Caroline Watt won the 400 IM in 4:51.56. Kiley finished fifth with a 4:55.19. Senior captain Linnea Patterson won the 200 IM with a 2:16.58.
- Eguchi snuck under two minutes in the 200 free with a 1:59.92, just ahead of Laurita in 2:00.50 as the two were third and fourth.
- Lowery (25.38) and senior captain Mariah Rawding (25.49) were third and fourth in the 50 free. Lowery later won the 100 IM in 1:00.98. She led a trio of Polar Bears at the top of that event as Ally Fromson-Ho touched second in 1:03.28 and Patterson was third with her 1:04.03.
- In the 100 fly Wargo was runner up with a 1:00.73. Sterling Dixon added a second place finish in the 100 free with her 54.81, while in the 100 back Cecilia de Havenon was also second with her 1:02.56.
- Rebecca Stern (249.55), Thea Kelsey (211.40), and Waverly Harden (161.80) were first through third in one meter diving. Stern also led the way on three meter with 272.05 points ahead of Kelsey's 218.25 points and Harden's 201.75.
- The first-year quartet of Wargo, Wolff, Eguchi, and Laurita were runner ups in the 400 freestyle relay with a 3:41.42 to end the meet.
- To start off the meet, the senior relay was the Polar Bear's top finishing 200 medley relay. Mac Brower, Michael Netto, Matthew Peknay, and Will Hutchinson touched second in 1:37.38.
- Hutchinson then won the 200 freestyle with a 1:47.75 while sophomore Drew MacDonald finished second in 1:48.20. Hutchinson was later runner up in the 100 IM with a 55.80. Cam Chertavian finished third (57.87) and Peknay was fourth (57.92).
- First-year Geoff Chen won the 50 freestyle with a 22.09. Netto was runner up in the 200 IM with a 2:02.77 while Daniel Williams placed third (2:07.73). Netto was also third in the 100 breaststroke (1:02.25).
- Jacob Baltaytis (53.43), Logan House (53.76), and Chen (54.51) were second, third, and fourth in the 100 butterfly.
- Karl Sarier was victorious in the 100 backstroke with a 55.07. Julian Abaldo and Alex Burns were first and second in the 500 freestyle with times of 5:00.26 and 5:01.80.
- Mitchell Ryan won one meter diving with 296.15 points and topped three meter with a score of 339.80.
- It was a back and forth race in the 400 freestyle relays, in which Bowdoin entered four teams- one from each class year. Powered by a strong anchor leg from Chen, the first years prevailed as Baltaytis, Jack Barry, and Michael Tirone touched in 3:15.12. The senior team of Peknay, Brower, Hutchinson, and House were second with a 3:16.89. Sophomores MacDonald, Chertavian, Abaldo, and Mike O'Neal placed third with a 3:17.16. The junior team of Sarier, Pastoriza, Williams, and diver Mitchell Ryan touched seventh overall in 3:31.04.
- The Polar Bears travel to Wesleyan for a meet against the Cardinals and Bantams on January 26-27.