Bowdoin and Amherst Play to Scoreless Draw in Women's Soccer

Sarah Wallace (photo courtesy of Tom Van Zant)
Sarah Wallace (photo courtesy of Tom Van Zant)

AMHERST, Mass. - For the second straight meeting, the Bowdoin and Amherst women's soccer teams played to a draw as the squads posted a 0-0 double-overtime result Saturday on Gooding Field.

With neither team able to gain any traction offensively over the first 20 minutes, Amherst's Sarah Duffy and Jessy Hale logged consecutive shots 2:10 apart, but could not find the mark. Maya Jackson-Gibson put the Jeffs' first try on net in the 30th minute, but Bowdoin goalkeeper Bridget McCarthy snuffed out the shot to keep the visitors level.

Still scoreless at the start of the second half, the Polar Bears' Audrey Phillips tested Amherst netminder Holly Burwick just over three minutes into the stanza, but the sophomore made her second save of the day to keep it 0-0. The Jeffs generated a quality chance minutes later off of a Hale corner, but Alex Hart pushed the header wide of net.

After Phillips put another shot on target in the 67th minute, Amherst pushed forward, rattling off three shots over a span of 2:55. Continuing to press, Hale played another corner into the box, but junior Emma Rothkopf's attempt and Hale's rebound were both blocked down by the Bowdoin defense as the game headed into an extra session.

With the teams still searching for a score in the latter stages of the first overtime, Bowdoin nearly knocked in the game winner. Coming up with the ball in the middle of the 18-yard box after a scrum in front with less than 1:30 remaining, Abby Einwag looked to the net, but the junior midfielder sent the try over the crossbar. Moments later, Einwag had another opportunity to put it away while coming up the left side, but just pushed a long shot from the edge of the box wide.

Threatening in the second overtime, Hale played a ball into the six-yard box, but McCarthy came off her line to snag the cross before Chloe McKenzie '14 could head it toward goal. With under two minutes to play, Hale sent in a free-kick from 25 yards out into the box, but Hart's header fell wide left as the game ended in a scoreless draw.

Amherst finished with a 23-9 shot advantage and a 6-2 edge in corners. Burwick finished with five saves to move to 1-0-1 on the season, while McCarthy had six stops.

The Polar Bears (1-0-1) will return to action tomorrow afternoon at Maine-Farmington.