BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin College women's rugby team cruised to a 51-5 win over Colby in its home opener on Saturday at Pickard Field.
The Polar Bears improve to 2-0 with the win and have outscored their opponents 117-12 over the first two matches.
- Bowdoin's team and individual defense pressured Colby into numerous mistakes, including less than two minutes into the game when the Polar Bears' back line forced a turnover which resulted in wing, Taylor Yoder scoring the first try the game.
- Bowdoin's continued pressure and solid tackling created opportunities for the Polar Bears. Long breakaway tries were scored by first year fullback Sophia Karris, Amber Ramos and Jackie Jaques.
- Center Allegra Bersani and flyhalf Liz D'Angelo added tries of their own in the first half while D'Angelo also made two conversion kicks as Bowdoin carried a 34-5 lead into halftime.
- Mackenzie Philbrick highlighted both halves with strong carries, timely passing and highlight-reel tackles.
- In the second half, Amber Ramos scored her second try while first-year Molly Petronzio played scrum half and scored a try under the posts, converted by D'Angelo.
- Philbrick had another break away run and scored final trial of the game for a score of 51 to 5.
By The Numbers
- Satya Kent led the day with 15 tackles, with Liz D'Angelo having 10 and Alice Hawkins, Hannah Zuklie totaling nine apiece.
- Bowdoin's B-side earned a 49-10 win. Scoring for the B-side were sophomore Renita Shivnauth and all first-year players: Jenna Clukey, Ashlynn Autrey, Brooke Berry, Molly Petronzio, Catherine Patti and Sage Kashner.
- Bowdoin will be at home against next Saturday when they face West Chester at 11:00 a.m. at Pickard Field. The game will be carried live on the Northeast Sports Network.