BIDDEFORD, Maine - The University of New England came away with the Northeast Intercollegiate Rugby Association Tier 2 Championship on Saturday with a decisive 57-14 over Bowdoin.
The Polar Bears end their fall with a record of 7-2.
- The Nor'easters scored the first 22 points of the contest before Bowdoin got on the board.
- The Polar Bears strung together several attack phases with both forwards and backs, but with the defensive pressure, were unable to maintain possession long enough to score in the early going.
- Bowdoin was able to get on the board when Safiya Osei scored from five meters out, off an assist from Kendall Schutzer. Schutzer then notched the conversion kick to cut the lead to 22-7.
- Bowdoin trailed 32-7 at intermission and UNE continued to build their advantage to as many as 52-7 in the second half.
- Bowdoin's second half score came from a Liz D'Angelo kick over the UNE backline from midfield; fielding her own kick off a nice bounce, Bowdoin's flyhalf cut through the Nor'easter defense and dove over the line. D'Angelo converted her own try.
- Leading the team in tackles were Schutzer and D'Angelo with 12 each, while back row forwards Jackie Jaques and Satya Kent had eight apiece. Anarelis Ramirez and Amber Ramos really enjoyed a strong contest with seven tackles of their own.