BRUNSWICK, Maine - The Bowdoin College women's lacrosse team mounted a furious second-half rally to stun Wesleyan 13-11 on Senior Day Saturday at Ryan Field.
The Polar Bears (10-3, 5-3 NESCAC), who trailed by four goals with under 20 minutes remaining, outscored the Cardinals (8-5, 4-4 NESCAC) 9-3 over the final 18:45 to pick up an important conference victory.
- Wesleyan controlled the first half thanks in great part to the play of goaltender Allegra Grant, who made five first-half saves.
- After the teams traded opening goals, the Cardinals outscored the Polar Bears 6-1 over the final 19:20 of the opening period to carry a 7-3 lead into intermission.
- Abigail Horst sparked the surge with three goals in the first period.
- After the squads traded goals to open the second period, Wesleyan held a 8-4 edge with 21:15 to go following an Abby Manning goal.
- Bowdoin used a quick 4-0 surge over a span of 4:29 to draw even, with Hannah Hirschfeld scoring twice in the run.
- Wesleyan regained the lead on two occasions, at 9-8 and 10-9, and still owned a one-goal lead with under eight minutes to go.
- Kate McAloon tied the game at 10-10 with 7:35 remaining and, following a draw control by Katie Miller, Hirschfeld gave Bowdoin the lead for good just 32 seconds later.
- The Polar Bears stretched their lead on goals by Eliza Denious and Hannah Hirschfeld with under five minutes to go to seal the win.
By The Numbers
- Hannah Hirschfeld was outstanding, scoring all five of her goals in the decisive second half for Bowdoin. She also had three assists in the game.
- Eliza Denious had two goals, two draw controls and two caused turnovers for the Polar Bears while Kate McAloon had a team-best four draws.
- Wesleyan got five goals from Abigail Horst, four of which came in the first half for the Cardinals.
- Caitlin Wood added two goals for Wesleyan while Jordan Ansell had a game-high three caused turnovers.
- Allegra Grant finished with 13 saves for Wesleyan and Kayli Weiss posted six for Bowdoin.
- The Polar Bears held a 30-22 advantage in shots thanks in great part to a 19-9 edge in the second half.
- The Cardinals cashed in on 5-7 free position shots but committed 22 turnovers compared to just 13 for Bowdoin.
- The Polar Bears head to Williams for their next game on Saturday, April 21 at 12:00 p.m.
- Wesleyan hosts Hamilton at noon on Saturday, April 21.