BRUNSWICK, Maine - The Bowdoin College women's lacrosse team rallied from an early deficit to defeat Bates in a NESCAC match-up on Wednesday evening at Ryan Field, 15-13.
The 18th-ranked Polar Bears earn a much-needed NESCAC win and improve to 7-3 (3-3 NESCAC) while the Bobcats fall to 6-5 (1-2 NESCAC).
- The Bobcats stormed out of the gate, scoring the first four goals of the contest and taking an early 6-1 lead.
- Annie Duke and Teal Otley sparked the game-opening surge with two goals apiece to give the visitors the early edge.
- Bowdoin rallied on the backs of Hannah Hirschfeld, Kara Finnerty and Katherine Miller, all who scored twice in the first half.
- The Polar Bears ended the opening frame on a 6-0 run to take a 7-6 lead at intermission.
- Bowdoin scored the first three goals of the second half, including a pair from Eliza Denious, to take a 10-6 lead with 28:44 to go.
- The Polar Bears still held a four-goal edge, 12-8, with under 21 minutes to go in regulation.
- Bates mounted a huge rally, scoring five goals in a span of nine minutes to erase Bowdoin's lead and regain the advantage, 13-12, on a Teal Otley score with 11:54 to go.
- Bowdoin settled and regained control, tallying the next three goals- from Denious, Miller and Kate Kelly, and the Polar Bear defense held Bates scoreless for the final 11:54 to clinch the win.
By The Numbers
- Katherine Miller led all players with four goals and two assists in the win for Bowdoin while Hannah Hirschfeld also scored four times.
- Eliza Denious added three goals for Bowdoin while Hirschfeld led the team with two ground balls and three caused turnovers.
- Annie Duke and Teal Otley had four goals apiece for Bates, who got ten draw controls from Allison Dewey.
- Kayli Weiss stopped seven shots for Bowdoin while Eliza Statile made eight saves for Bates.
- Bowdoin returns to action with a non-conference game on Ryan Field against Wheaton on Sunday at 12:00 p.m.
- Bates heads south to play at Connecticut College on Saturday at noon.