CLINTON, N.Y. - The Bowdoin College women's lacrosse team saw its season come to a close in a 12-9 setback at Hamilton in the quarterfinals of the NESCAC Tournament on Saturday.
The Polar Bears end the year with a record of 10-6 while the Continentals advance to the NESCAC Semifinals next weekend with a record of 12-4.
- The Continentals put the Polar Bears in an early hole, scoring the game's first five goals and holding Bowdoin scoreless until late in the first half.
- Casey File scored twice in the five-goal surge for Hamilton but Kelsey Gallagher scored twice in the final 1:20 of the period for Bowdoin, cutting the lead to 5-2 at intermission.
- Bowdoin made a push to draw within a goal early in the second half, cutting the lead to 5-4 thanks to back-to-back goals from Kara Finnerty and Gallagher in the opening minutes.
- But Hamilton withstood the Bowdoin run and regained a three-goal lead, 8-5, just three minutes later.
- Bowdoin was able to cut the Hamilton lead to two goals on four occasions, as the teams traded goals for the final 20:38 of the contest, but could get no closer.
- Finnerty's goal with 16 seconds remaining made it a 11-9 contest but Hamilton won the ensuing draw and Darcy Philbrick put the contest out of reach on a goal with five seconds left.
By The Numbers
- Kelsey Gallagher finished with four goals and an assist to lead Bowdoin while Kara Finnerty had two goals and an assist.
- Finnerty also had three draw controls, three ground balls and two caused turnovers.
- Casey File led Hamilton with four goals.
- Kayli Weiss stopped eight shots in net for Bowdoin while two Hamilton netminders combined to save five shots.
- Hamilton owned a 26-24 edge in shots for the game