LEWISTON, Maine - The Bowdoin College women's lacrosse team outscored Bates 6-3 in the second half to rally from a halftime deficit en route to a 10-9 victory on Wednesday evening.
The eighth-ranked Polar Bears bounce back from a loss on Sunday to improve to 7-2 (4-2 NESCAC). The Bobcats fall to 6-5 (1-5 NESCAC) on the season.
- Bates weathered a quick start by Bowdoin as the Polar Bears jumped out of the gate with three goals in the first 8:15 from Mettler Growney, Allison Williams and Hannah Hirschfeld.
- Bowdoin maintained a 5-3 lead thanks to goals from Growney and Alexandra Logan with 7:05 left in the opening half, but Bates rolled off three scores in the final 5:11 to take a 6-5 edge into intermission.
- Bowdoin quickly regained the lead in the second half, getting goals from Kara Finnerty and Hirschfeld to take a 7-6 advantage with 22:43 remaining.
- After Bates evened the score with 21:12 to go, Bowdoin rolled off two more goals - from Kate McAloon and Hirschfeld, and Williams added a late goal to make it 10-8 Polar Bears with under eight minutes to play.
- Bates trimmed the lead to 10-9 with 4:12 remaining and had a chance to force overtime, but a late shot on goal did not beat the buzzer as the Polar Bears walked away with the one-goal decision.
By The Numbers
- Hannah Hirschfeld had a hat trick to lead all scorers and added a pair of caused turnovers in the victory for Bowdoin.
- Allison Williams had two goals and two assists while Mettler Growney added a pair of scores.
- Caroline Kerrigan and Avery MacMullen led Bates with two goals each.
- Kayli Weiss made 11 saves in the victory for Bowdoin as the Polar Bears got five draw controls from Annie Glenn and three ground balls from Caroline Maxwell.
- Shots were 26-26 for the contest.
- Bowdoin returns to action with a road contest at Connecticut College on Saturday at noon.