BRUNSWICK, Maine - The Bowdoin College women's lacrosse team overwhelmed Williams 14-5 in a NESCAC contest played at Ryan Field on Thursday evening.
The 15th-ranked Polar Bears move to 5-1 (2-1 NESCAC) with their second win in as many days. The Ephs fall to 3-2 (1-2 NESCAC) with the loss.
- Bowdoin rode the hot hand of Allison Williams to an early lead on Thursday evening, as the sophomore scored twice in a game-opening 6-1 run for the Polar Bears.
- Williams closed the gap with three straight goals to trim the Bowdoin lead to 6-4 on a Eliza Quigley score with 8:06 remaining in the opening half.
- The Polar Bears answered with the final three goals of the half, from Kara Finnerty, Mettler Growney and Williams to take a 9-4 edge at intermission.
- Bowdoin doused all thoughts of an Eph comeback with a 3-0 run to open the second half, stretching their lead to eight goals after consecutive scores from Finnerty.
By The Numbers
- Kara Finnerty led all scorers with four goals while Allison Williams had her second-straight hat trick.
- Williams was led by a pair of goals from Suzanna Penikis.
- Mettler Growney had three ground balls and three caused turnovers in the victory for Bowdoin while Finnerty and Natalie Rudin had two draw controls each.
- Williams was led by four ground balls and five draws from Emma Tenbarge.
- The Ephs split time in goal with Ana Alvarenga stopping three shots (9 GA) in the first half before Margaret Draper took over, stopping four shots (5 GA) in the second period.
- Kayli Weiss made seven saves, including four in the second half, for the Polar Bears.
- Bowdoin will host top-ranked Middlebury College at noon on Saturday at Ryan Field.
- Williams travels to play at Bates on Saturday at noon.