CLINTON, N.Y. – The Bowdoin women's hockey team pegged a 3-1 upset on host Hamilton in the NESCAC Women's Hockey Quarterfinals on Saturday afternoon.
The fifth-ranked Polar Bears (13-8-3) reproduced last year's quarterfinal result with another five-four upset over the Continentals. (13-8-4). Bowdoin recorded a 1-0 victory in double overtime against Hamilton in the 2017 quarterfinals. The Polar Bears are 4-0 all-time against Hamilton in this event and have a 21-13 record in 17 championship appearances.
Bowdoin did not score a goal against the Continentals in two regular season games earlier this season as Hamilton pinned a 2-0 setback and 0-0 draw on the Polar Bears at Watson Arena.
- Bowdoin took a 1-0 lead with 6:32 left in the first period. Maureen Greason brought the puck down the left side and into the offensive zone. Greason dropped off the puck for Jess Cloutier and Cloutier's pass from the left faceoff dot found Nell Fusco at the right post for a redirect past Hamilton goaltender Sam Walther.
- Brooke Solomon gave Bowdoin a 2-0 lead at 6:55 of the second period. Julia Surgenor passed the puck along the boards behind the net to Julie Dachille, who skated out to the right of the goal. Dachille's pass from beside the net found Solomon for a one-timer from the bottom of the left faceoff circle.
- Marissa Fichter handed the Polar Bears a three-goal cushion at 11:33 of the third period. Izzi Stoddard forced a turnover near the blue line in the Continentals' defensive zone and passed to Fichter for a wrist shot from the right faceoff circle.
- Missy Segall spoiled Kerri St. Denis' shutout bid while the teams skated 4-on-4 with 6:13 remaining in the third. Segall carried the puck into the Bowdoin zone and found Kate Piacenza. Piacenza passed the puck from above the left circle back to Segall for a wrist shot from the high slot that beat St. Denis to her left side.
By the Numbers
- Walther made 21 saves for the Continentals.
- Hamilton ended up 0-for-8 on the power play while Bowdoin was scoreless in four chances.
- St. Denis made 34 stops for Bowdoin, including 15 in the final period.
- The Polar Bears play at top-seeded Middlebury on Saturday in the NESCAC Semifinals.