BRUNSWICK, Maine – Julie Dachille scored her first career hat trick to lead the Bowdoin women's ice hockey team to a 4-0 shutout of visiting Johnson & Wales University on Saturday afternoon.
The Polar Bears climb to 5-0-1 while snapping a two-game win streak for the Wildcats (3-7-3).
- Julia Surgenor found Brooke Solomon along the left side in Wildcats territory to set up Bowdoin's first goal. As Solomon skated towards net a defender tripped her and she slid to the ice, but just managed to extend and push the puck right for Dachille. Dachille easily put away a goal to go ahead 3:31 into the game.
- Kathryn Mason looked for an equalizer as the puck bounced off the left boards and behind the Bowdoin defense. Mason skated towards Kerri St. Denis and fired off a low angle shot with just a minute to play, which St. Denis turned away.
- Meade Avery doubled Bowdoin's lead 6:30 into the second frame. Nell Fusco lined up a shot from the right point, directing the puck towards the opposite post. Avery perfectly deflected in her first goal of the year.
- With 1:30 remaining in the period, Taylor Davis fired a slapshot towards St. Denis that the junior gloved out of the air.
- Just 26 seconds later, Solomon set up Dachille for another tally. This time, Solomon won the puck off the boards and fed Dachille for a breakaway. Dachille backhanded a shot as she skated past the right post.
- Dachille made it a hat trick 4:37 into the third off another feed from Solomon and Surgenor. The senior has now recorded 30 goals as a Polar Bear and 51 career points.
By the Numbers
- St. Denis stopped ten shots to earn her first shutout of the year.
- Kami Weiner made 35 saves for the Wildcats.
- Both teams went 0-for-2 on the power play.
- Bowdoin plays at USM tomorrow at 5:00 p.m.
- Johnson & Wales is off until 2018, hosting a 4:00 p.m. game against New England College.