Women's Ice Hockey Uses Third Period Rally To Tie Trinity

Chelsea MacNeil's goal in the third period sent the game into overtime
Chelsea MacNeil's goal in the third period sent the game into overtime

BRUNSICK, Maine – The Bowdoin women's ice hockey team scored a pair of quick goals in the final period to force overtime as the Polar Bears skated to a 3-3 tie with Trinity Saturday afternoon.

The Polar Bears move to 9-8-3 (4-5-3 NESCAC) on the season and hold an all-time 21-7-3 advantage over the Bantams. Trinity leaves Brunswick at 10-6-4 (5-5-2 NESCAC).

The Bantams put themselves on the board less than four minutes into the afternoon's contest with a clean passing sequence between Lauren Glynn and Emily Kleidon. Skating into the right faceoff circle Glynn dished left to Kleidon on the post, who drew Lan Crofton and then dished back to Glynn for the 1-0 lead. Trinity doubled its goal total just four minutes later following a turnover in Bowdoin's defensive zone as Andi Nicholson took a straight shot on net, with Cheeky Herr collecting the rebound and burying the puck as she slid away from the Bowdoin goal.

The Polar Bears capitalized on their fourth power play opportunity of the game 4:01 into the second period. Ariana Bourque's initial shot on Kristen Maxwell was denied and left loose in the crease where Colleen Finnerty collected it to cut Trinity's lead in half. Herr looked to up the Bantams lead with 25 seconds remaining, but clinked the puck off the crossbar, closing out the period with Trinity leading 2-1.

Trinity went ahead 3-1 with a rebound goal in the third period from Lucy Robinson. Collecting the puck after a shot from Herr, Robinson slipped it past Crofton's right side for the two goal lead. Bowdoin wasn't done yet, coming back and tying the game with a pair of goals in the final three minutes. The Polar Bears got their first from Bourque who clapped a shot from the right faceoff circle. Chelsea MacNeil tied the game just 18 seconds later as she wristed a shot top right shelf to send the game into overtime.

Despite several scoring opportunities, including a one-on-one for Trinity, neither team was able to break the deadlock and leave the game with a win.

Both goalies played all 65 minutes in net, with Crofton tallying 26 saves and Maxwell stopping 39.

The Polar Bears travel to Hamilton next weekend for a pair of NESCAC games beginning at 7:00 p.m. on Friday. The Bantams will continue their road stretch with two games at Amherst beginning February 14.