BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin College women's basketball defeated Farleigh Dickinson-Florham by a score of 79-57 Saturday evening at Morrell Gymnasium in the second round of the NCAA Women's Division III Tournament.
The Polar Bears (26-2) advance to the third round of the NCAA Tournament where they will play Scranton next Friday. Bowdoin has made it to at least the "Sweet Sixteen" in 12 out of the last 18 years. FDU-Florham ends a fantastic season with a record of 22-7.
- Sam Roy connected with Hannah Graham for two nice assists leading to open layups in route to a 7-0 Bowdoin run as the Polar Bears took a 7-0 lead.
- Turnovers on back-to-back possessions by the Polar Bears led to a quick 5-0 run for FDU and a 16-13 lead for the Devils.
- Bowdoin continued to attack on the offensive end, getting to the free throw line three trips in a row, connecting on all six for a 6-0 run to regain the lead at 19-16.
- Bowdoin closed out the half on a big 6-0 run after Kate Kerrigan grabbed an offensive putback and nailed a three on consecutive possessions to spark the surge. The run gave the Polar Bears a 38-28 lead heading into the half, their biggest lead of the game to that point.
- Bowdoin came out of the half hot as Taylor Choate hit a three-pointer, keying a 8-0 run for the Polar Bears. Kerrigan's aggression on the defensive end led to a made jumper and an assisted layup to Lauren Petit.
- FDU stayed in the game in the third quarter with their ability to get to the free throw line, connecting on seven points from the stripe but could never cut the lead to single digits.
- Bowdoin continued to roll, however, and the Polar Bears' 22-point margin of victory matched their largest lead of the contest.
By The Numbers:
- The Polar Bears outrebounded the Devils by a total of 50-37. Bowdoin was a force on the offensive glass with 20 offensive rebounds, turning in 24 second chance points.
- With both teams playing intense defense, opportunities were created by each side from turnovers. FDU took advantage of 10 Bowdoin turnovers, converting those into 14 points. The Polar Bears scored nine points off 11 FDU turnovers.
- Kate Kerrigan recorded a double-double of 18 points and 13 rebounds (eight offensive). She also added four assists and left her mark on the defensive side of the ball with five steals and one block.
- Lauren Petit finished with 10 points and five boards.
- The Polar Bears showed their depth with 30 bench points and 11 different players finding the scoring column.
- Taiah Thornton was the game-high scorer with 24 points for FDU. She also added six rebounds and three assists.
- Gabrielle Harris (12 points) and Bria Smith (10) were the other Devils in double figures.
- Bowdoin advances to the third round of the NCAA Division III Tournament and will play Scranton. The time and location of the game is TBD.