BRUNSWICK, Maine - The Bowdoin College women's basketball team remained unbeaten in a battle of top-ten squads, 66-53, on Saturday afternoon at Morrell Gymnasium.
The seventh-ranked Polar Bears improve to 13-0 (2-0 NESCAC) and have yet to post a victory by a single-digit margin this season. Second-ranked Tufts falls for the second time in their last four games and drops to 11-2 (1-1 NESCAC).
- A tightly-played first half featured a combined 25 fouls called against the two teams (13 against Tufts and 12 against Bowdoin) as both teams struggled to find their footing.
- Erica DeCandido scored the opening bucket for Tufts, but Bowdoin would respond with a 9-0 run to take the lead they would never relinquish.
- Taylor Choate scored five points in the surge for the Polar Bears, who pushed their early lead to ten points following a Lauren Petit three-pointer and held a 19-13 edge after one quarter.
- Tufts closed the lead to two points early in the second quarter, but Bowdoin scored the next four points to push the advantage back to six.
- Bowdoin's lead would bounce between four and nine points for the remainder of the half as the hosts took a 35-30 lead into intermission.
- The teams combined for just 18 points in the third quarter as Bowdoin took a 45-38 edge into the final ten minutes.
- Five straight points from Tufts' Sadie Otley closed the Bowdoin lead to five points, 49-44, with 6:47 to go.
- Following a timeout, Bowdoin's Lydia Caputi hit a big three-pointer, sparking a game-deciding 8-0 run for the Polar Bears, who increased their lead to 57-44 with four minutes to go.
By The Numbers
- Bowdoin finished at 33% shooting while Tufts connected on 31% for the contest. The Polar Bears took advantage at the free throw stripe, connecting on 32-38 (84%) to aid their cause.
- Lauren Petit led all scorers with 20 points while also adding seven rebounds. Kate Kerrigan pitched in 13 points, 11 rebounds, four assists and three steals for the Polar Bears.
- Cordelia Stewart added eight big points, six rebounds and two blocks off the bench for Bowdoin.
- Erica DeCandido led Tufts with 16 points and ten rebounds while Emily Briggs added 11 points and five rebounds off the bench for Tufts.
- Bowdoin returns to action at New England College on Tuesday evening (5:30).
- Tufts will play at Worcester State on Monday at noon.